II.

So, as a treat for being such good readers and fans and helping this book reach a ranking of #775 in the Romance section, I worked hard to push out Chapter 2 of The Betrothed! Enjoy this new chapter written from Hunter's POV! :) Happy reading!

* This chapter may or may not contain grammtical errors and typos. *

Hunter on the side :) -->

* * * * * * *

Hunter's POV

I woke up to the annoying nudges of my mom as I heard the loud shrieking of my alarm clock. My mom, Janice Young, was almost to the point of slapping my arm to wake as my alarm clock didn't seem to properly do its job. Yes, I'm that difficult to wake.

"Wake up, Hunter! You're going to be late for work!" she shouted at my face. Too bad all I can do at this point is groan, though; I'm really not much of a morning person. Hell, I probably wouldn't even wake up during the anticipated "Great California Shakeout" when it comes! Seriously, it kinda worries me that my parents will leave me here to die.

"Hnmmm..." I complained with my eyes still shut closed. I shuffled around on my bed and slapped my mom's hand away. "I'm up! I'm up!" I said just to stop her nagging. She didn't leave though.

"No you're not! Get up!" At some point, she gave up on waking me up. I smirked knowing that I won. I really should be getting up; Work starts in about an hour. My eyes widened at the realization. An hour! Shit! I'm gonna be late!

I grabbed a change of clothes and quickly hopped in the shower. I never liked showering in the evening because I knew I'd want to shower again in the morning anyway. Plus, it's a known fact that everybody sweats in their sleep! Showers are also a nice way to wake up — especially if they're cold showers.

It was a record time for me as I finished all my morning rituals within fifteen minutes. I ran downstairs only to find everyone already at the dinner table.

"Finally you wake up!" Christine said.

"Good morning, Grandma," I greeted, walking to my seat at the table. The breakfast table was filled with food. There was a plate stacked with a whole mess of pancakes, there was another stacked with waffles, another plate filled with bacon, and another filled with scrambled eggs. I filled up my plate as I started eating.

"Are you going to be back for dinner tonight, Hunter?" my mom asked.

"I'm not sure yet, I might have to work overtime," I said, stuffing my face with food. I looked up and saw everyone staring at me with an amused face. "What?" I asked.

"Slow down, Hunter! You'll choke yourself!" My dad chuckled. "Anyway, don't work yourself too hard, okay? You gotta think of your health too."

"Seriously dad, I'm fine. I have a lot of patients to care for."

I gobbled up the last of my eggs and bacon and stood up to put my plate in the sink. After drinking a tall glass of orange juice, I gathered up all my stuff and proceeded to walk out of the front door.

"Bye everyone! I'll see you guys tonight!"

The way to work was usually a quick drive, but there was construction in the road today so it set me back about fifteen minutes. Looking out of the window, I saw a couple walking down the street together hand-in-hand. It reminded of the beautiful relationship I had before. She's gone now though. She didn't even seem to care about how I felt when she just left all of a sudden.

Thirty minutes later, I finally entered the parking lot of the hospital. I sped through the aisles looking for a spot so I can finally start my day. It took me another five minutes just to find one spot that was all the way at the other end of the lot, furthest from the from entrance. I groaned in annoyance.