Chapter 28

I had Allen drop me a couple blocks from the hotel. I walked into a drug store and watched as he drove away before going back out and hailing a cab. I got to the hotel and made my way upstairs. When I opened the door, Hank was on the couch, Erin was on the phone yelling, and Jay was pacing back and forth.

"Where the hell did you go?!" Hank stood up and stormed over to me.

"She's here." Erin said into the phone before hanging up and stuffing it into her pocket.

"You left without telling anyone where you were going. Do you know how dangerous that was?! Where were you?"

"Luca called and asked for my engagement ring back. It was a family heirloom. I just met him down the street to give it to him, we talked for a bit. I'm sorry. I was careful, I promise."

"Why didn't you just tell me? I could've at least gone with you." Jay looked distressed.

"I made a mistake. Guys seriously, I'm sorry! But I'm back now and I won't leave again."

None of them seemed to believe me but Hank and Erin left anyways. Jay sat on the bed with his head in his hands. I sat beside him and placed my hand on his shoulder.

"Jay-"

"I thought you were gone! Something could've happened to you, don't you get that? You scared the shit out of me. I can't lose you." His tone was full of desperation.

"I'm sorry. I really am. I wasn't thinking clearly. But I'm back and I'm fine. I won't do it again."

"I'll hold you to that."

His lips crashed onto mine, rough and desperate. He pulled me until I was straddling him, then picked me up and scooted back so we were fully on the bed. His hands trailed down my sides, playing with the hem of my shirt. I stopped him.

"It's not that I don't want to.."

"Say no more." He placed a gentle kiss on my lips. "What do you say we just cuddle?"

I rolled off him and snuggled into his side. "Sounds perfect to me."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been one week. One week since I got that call from Luca. Saw Marco hanging by his arms in the middle of an abandoned warehouse on the outskirts of Chicago. He hasn't shown up yet. Police are still looking for him. Which means.... Luca is keeping him alive, torturing him until Marco can't take it anymore and just gives up; he's already dead and Luca hasn't dumped the body yet; or Luca has dumped his body and Chicago PD hasn't come across it yet. Whatever the reason? I can't take this much longer.

I've had nightmares again. Every night since that night. Marco coming after me for letting Luca torture him. Last night was the worst. Bexley was alive and well. We were at the park with Jay and Marco showed up out of nowhere. Killing everyone but me. Killing Jay. Killing Bexley. It woke me up around 2am and I couldn't go back to sleep. I'm counting down the minutes to lunch so I can go hide and take a nap.

Around 7pm everyone in the unit had wrapped up what they were working on. Jay walked up and asked if I wanted to grab dinner before going home.

"Have a good day? You looked a little out of it."

"I did! I'm just tired. How'd it go with the case?"

Jay reached over and grabbed my hand, rubbing his thumb over my knuckles and telling me about the case they had today.

"Oh my friend Mouse is in town. I told him about you. He wants to meet you."

"Mouse?" I giggled at the name. "Oh that's the friend that got you to come back home?"

Jay nodded and smiled a little.

"I would love to meet him! Maybe I can get him to tell me where the nickname Mouse came from."

Jay laughed and opened his mouth to say something, but his phone rang, interrupting him.

"Halstead. Yeah she's right beside me. We're going to grab some dinner."

I looked over, realizing whoever called him was asking about me. He was quiet, listening. Suddenly his face went blank, his hand tightened on the steering wheel.

"Where? We're on our way." He glanced over at me. "I said WE are on our way!" He yelled into the phone before tossing it into the cup holder and making the next turn.

"Who was that?"

"Erin. We're going to meet everyone at the docks."

"Why?"

He was quiet for a minute, training his eyes on the road.

"Jay? What's going on?"

"They found Marco." He replied sternly.

I looked at the dashboard. "He's dead." I whispered.

"What?"

I lifted my head, looking back at Jay. "He's dead?"

"I didn't say that." Jay gave me a suspicious look.

"We're meeting everyone at the docks. If he was alive he'd be at the station. In the cage, right? I'm putting two and two together."

"Cora-"

"Jay! Just tell me the damn truth!"

"Okay! Yes he's dead!"

"And they're positive it's him?"

"That's what she said. Erin didn't want me to bring you cause apparently it isn't a pretty sight. But you could identify him better than any of us."