Chapter 26

Friday night rolled around and the Intelligence Unit, along with some of 51, was gathered around for drinks at Molly's. The unit had some rough cases this week and wanted to blow off some steam. Jay and I were still taking things slow. But no one knew we were anything more than roommates. Though I think some people suspect.

"Hey Cora, is Sierra coming?"

"Why don't you ask her yourself? You have her number."

Antonio grumbled under his breath and pulled out his phone. About that time, Sierra, Kelly, and Kacee walked in the door.

Sierra got really close to Antonio's ear. "Yeah I'm coming to Molly's."

Antonio practically jumped out of his skin. "Holy shit, woman. You're gonna give me a heart attack."

She laughed and kissed him on the cheek before stepping up to the bar and ordering a drink. Kelly came over and gave me a hug.

"Here with Kacee, huh?"

"Not a word Coralie. Not a word."

I grinned at my best friend as he stepped back and slipped his arm around Kacee's waist and watched Ace try her best to suppress a smile. I spoke to Sierra about her and she told me she was nothing like those other girls Kelly had gotten mixed up with. And she had it bad for him, I mean who doesn't though come on. But they seem good together. And as long as Kelly is happy, I'm happy.

It's crazy to think just two weeks ago, I barely talked to any of these people because of my own stupid reasons. They all graciously picked things back up where we left them, which cut out a lot of awkwardness. Jay handed me a beer and smiled before turning back to his conversation with Erin. I was just about to talk to Sierra when my phone rang. A restricted number was calling. Without thinking anything of it, I headed to the back a bit where it was a little quieter and answered.

"Hello?"

"I'm surprised you're still alive."

I dropped my beer, glass shattered everywhere.

"Marco. What do you want?"

Adam and Antonio noticed me drop my beer first and ran over to me, signaling Erin and Jay to follow.

I held a hand up to silence their questions and waited for Marco to respond.

"How's your job at the precinct going?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Of course you don't. I didn't believe Pete when he said you were living it up with all your cop buddies, so I thought I would check in for myself. Looks like Molly's is pretty packed. Enjoy your night."

The call ended and I felt like I couldn't breathe. I pulled my phone away from my ear, standing frozen.

"Cora. Who was that?"

"Marco. He knows I'm here."

Antonio and Adam ran to the door, disappearing outside. The music had stopped and I could hear tires squealing.

"What did he say?" Erin questioned, trying to pull my attention away from the front door.

Antonio and Adam walked in a minute later.

"Dammit!" Adam slammed the door open.

"I don't know if it was him but whoever was here got away. Their plates were blacked out."

"It was probably Pete. Marco wouldn't be stupid enough to sit outside a bar full of cops who are searching for him. He knows I'm working at the precinct. He said 'I didn't believe it when Pete said you were living it up with your cop buddies'. Do you think he found out where Jay lives?"

My tone was desperate and concerned, mixed with guilt as I searched Erin's face for an answer.

"Have you seen anyone suspicious outside your building?"

Jay shook his head. "Nobody. Everything has been normal."

"We need to come up with a plan. At least for this weekend. See if he's got eyes on your place." Hank's gruff voice boomed out as he walked up. "But for now we need to get her out of here. Let's go back to the precinct. We can talk there."

We got upstairs quickly and everyone sat down. Erin picked up the phone immediately. Hank barked out other orders, but I wasn't really listening. Al showed up a minute later. I should have known Marco would still have someone following me. I wonder what else they had seen.

"Okay." Erin stood up, breaking me out of my thoughts. "The Kinzie has a room for us. Unfortunately it's just a king bed. It does have a sofa."

"That's fine!" Jay blurted out before Erin barely finished her sentence. Everyone gave him a suspicious look, except me who tried to glare daggers at him.

"Uhm. It's safer to not stay at my place. I am more than happy to take the sofa. It'll be fine." He raised his eyebrows and tried to keep his cool.

"It better be." Hank pointed a finger at Jay before walking back to his office to make a call.

"Alright, we'll take you guys down there. I'll swing by your apartment and grab some stuff and drop it off tonight. Gimme your key."

Jay pulled his apartment key out of his pocket and handed it to Erin. We all walked downstairs, Erin Jay and me piling in his car, everyone else following in two different cars behind us. We waited in the car until Adam came back out with key cards and check in paperwork. We followed Erin upstairs to our room for the weekend.