Chapter 20

Finally, we all congregated at Molly's around 4:30. Hermann had his wife and mother in law cook a load of food for everyone. I was sitting at a table alone, waiting for the food line to die down. Kelly walked over and kissed me on the head.

"Not drinking?"

I shook my head. "Not right now. Maybe in a minute. I need some food in my stomach. Thanks for coming today, Kel."

"You know I'm always here for you, right?"

I nodded and leaned into him, only moving away when Matt and Gabby came over to speak to me. Sierra interrupted soon and she walked up to the buffet with me.

"Hudson."

I turned around and saw Antonio. "Dawson. We on the last name basis then?"

He let out a loud laugh. "All part of the job babe. Who is this lovely lady?"

Sierra was grinning and blushing. "This is Sierra. We've known each other for most of our lives. She's a psychologist. Sierra, this is Antonio Dawson. Gabby's brother. He works up in Intelligence."

They shook hands, Antonio not able to take his eyes off her. I cleared my throat, only because they were blocking the food.

"Uh sorry." Antonio took a step to the side. "Were ready for you to come back to work, Cora. I mean it."

I patted him on the shoulder. "Thanks Antonio. I'm ready to come back. Now if you would be so kind as to go ahead and buy my best friend a drink so you two can stop gawking at each other, I'm gonna go stuff my face."

I laughed as I walked away once I caught sight of Sierra's beet red face. I plopped down in between Justin and Jay, who slid a beer in front of me.

"Thanks Jay."

"So how are you feeling? Pain wise. Not emotions. I'm not that stupid."

I nudged Justin and smiled. "Pain is getting better every day. Still gonna be a while before I'm 100% though. But Jay here," I clapped a hand down on his shoulder. "He's taking good care of me."

"He better be." Hank's rough voice came out in warning.

The next few hours were spent drinking and laughing. Something you wouldn't expect after a funeral. But I guess you gotta cope with it somehow. I hugged and thanked everyone and Jay drove us home.

"Thank you, Jay. I know I say that a lot. But I really appreciate everything you're doing for me."

"It's not a problem, Cora. I mean it. Want something to drink?"

I shook my head and pulled off my sandals. "I think I'm gonna go to bed. I'll see you tomorrow."

I stood on my tip toes and kissed his cheek before turning and heading to my room. I threw on a baggy shirt and some boxers I always wore and fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.