Chapter 23

5:30 on Tuesday rolled around and Platt called up to tell me Kelly was downstairs waiting for me. I waved bye to everyone and rushed down the stairs, attacking Kelly with a hug as soon as I saw him. We hopped in his mustang and drove to Toby's.

"So I guess this is our chance to catch up. How are things your way?"

He popped a fry in his mouth and nodded. "They're good. Things at the house are good."

"How's that candidate working out? Krieger?"

Kelly blushed. I didn't think it was possible but Kelly Severide actually blushed.

"Spill. Now."

"She's gonna be a great firefighter."

"That's not what I mean and you know it."

"She was at Molly's one night and came up to me. Started asking me about squad, like every candidate. But I don't know. We hung out a little more, and she's really cool and down to earth. We talk a lot at work now."

"Have you guys hung out away from work?"

"No way. Matt might can do the whole dating in work thing, but I've had too much bad luck with it."

"Let me talk to Sierra. They're friends. I can ask her what kind of person she is, if she thinks she would screw you over like those other skanks."

Kelly almost spit out his drink and started laughing. "Oh man. I've missed you."

I brought my drink to my lips and smiled. "I've missed you too Kelly."

"So how's it going living Jay?"

"It's good. We get along really well. I think I'm getting myself in trouble."

"You slept with him didn't you?"

I threw a fry at him. "No! Well kind of. But not in the way you're thinking. I've been having nightmares and I sleep better when he stays with me..." I averted my eyes. This all must've sounded so dumb.

"What are the nightmares about?"

"Marco. Bexley. The whole incident in a million different ways."

"Cora why didn't you call me?"

"Jay is the only one that knows. I don't wanna bother anyone with it. Especially him. He's just unlucky enough to be there when it happens."

"You know you can call me anytime that happens. I won't mind."

"I know I know."

"So... how are you getting yourself into trouble then?"

I took a swig of my drink and squinted at him. "I think I'm crushing on him. Like. Hard."

"Why is that a bad thing? Jay seems like a good guy."

"Uh because up until a week ago I was engaged and pregnant! And we work together. And live together. Platonically. It could mess things up if I pursued anything."

"Yes you were engaged and pregnant. But you were engaged to someone you didn't even love. Am I right?"

I nodded. "But it's still not fair. He will probably think it's just a way for me to cope with everything. Hell maybe that's all it is anyways."

"So he'll get good sex out of it, then you can move out when they find Marco. Sounds like a win win to me."

"Jesus Kelly. You just give the greatest advice."

He grinned and dropped some money on the table to pay the bill. "I know. Come on let's go."