Chapter 5

After finally dozing off, I was rudely awakened by the door slinging open.

"Jesus Hank. You're gonna break that door." I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and slowly sat up.

"Sorry. I didn't know you were in here sleeping."

I looked out his window to see an empty seat at Jay's desk. "Jay was supposed to tell you but I guess he left."

Erin walked in next and shut the door behind her.

"Cora." She said with a warning tone.

"You told her?!"

"Of course I did. You don't listen to me, but maybe you'll listen to her."

"Okay before either of you say anything, I'll tell you what I'm doing. I have a meeting on Saturday. This girl has some work from home stuff for me. It's pretty simple so it shouldn't be too hard to hide it from Marco. Once I get enough money saved up, I'm getting my own place. But no one knows and I want to try and keep it that way so he doesn't find out!"

Erin and Hank exchanged hesitant looks. Finally Hank cleared his throat.

"You know if you need a place to stay, I still have your room."

"Hank, I can't impose on you again. Especially not with a baby coming."

"Hey. That baby is gonna be like my grandchild. I sure as hell would rather the two of you stay at my house than stay with that piece of shit. But if you don't want to, I'll give you money for a place."

"Yeah or you can come stay with me. I have an extra room and I love babies."

"I need money of my own if I'm gonna be smart about this. I don't want to owe anyone anything. And I need a cushion in case Marco tries to come after the baby."

"You need to get out of there now though. Then you could do this work and wouldn't have to hide it. We could even find you some other way to make some money. It's just not safe for you there. You shouldn't have to leave your own house so he can do whatever probably illegal shit he's doing."

Before I could say anything, my phone rang. I pressed the green button to answer the call.

"Hello?"

"Hey baby. Sorry about all that. We're done now so you can come home."

"I'm in the middle of something. I'll be home later."

There was silence then I heard Marco scoff.

"It would be in your best interest to get home sooner rather than later."

Click.

"What was that about?"

I looked over at Hank. "Marco said I can go back to the house whenever."

"Look. Stay here as long as you want. But think about staying with one of us and we'll talk about it more at dinner."

I stood up and grabbed my purse, smoothing out my dress and putting on my best fake smile.

"I'll think about it, I promise. I'll see you guys tomorrow."

I gave Hank and Erin hugs and made my way out of the precinct back home to figure out the quickest and safest way to finally leave Marco. Whatever it was... it wasn't going to be easy.