Chapter 9

*Erin's POV*

I ordered two beers and took a seat beside Jay. We were at Molly's, enjoying a day off after a stressful week. *ding ding*

"Uh oh. Boyfriend texting you?"

I smirked and playfully nudged Jay in the shoulder. I pulled out my phone to read the text and took a swig of beer.

Cora-911. Ambo. My house. Hurry.

I spit the beer out. "Oh my god"

"Erin? What's going on?"

I dialed 911 and told them to send everyone to Cora's address. I didn't know what happened but something was wrong. I showed Jay the text.

"Come on, let's go. I'll drive. You call Voight."

He threw some money on the counter and grabbed my arm, leading me out to the car. He punched in the address to his GPS and sped over to Cora's house. The tires squealed as he stopped in front of her brownstone. Hank was on his way. I could hear the sirens but no one had arrived yet. I hopped out of the car and started running toward the door.

"Erin! Wait! We don't know what we're walking into. We have to be smart about this!"

I watched Jay unholster his gun, took a deep breath, and followed suit. He stepped in front of me and tried to turn the door handle. Locked.

"Watch out."

He pulled his leg back and kicked, hard. Door didn't open. One more kick. The door burst open, wood splintering and flying around.

"CHICAGO PD."

We checked the front room, closet, no one there. Jay went upstairs to clear it, I headed towards the back. The study was empty. I walked into the kitchen, gun raised and ready.

"Oh my god. CORA!"

My friend. My sister. She was laying on the floor, unconscious and covered in blood. There was blood on the floor between her legs.

"Oh my god." Jay breathed out beside me.

I fell onto the floor beside her, checking for a pulse.

"She's got a pulse. She's alive!"

"Fire Department!"

We heard voices coming from the front, so Jay ran to grab them. Severide, Casey, Otis, and Cruz walked in behind Jay.

"Cora! Cora! What the hell happened?!"

"GABBY, SHAY! Hurry up!"

I just kept shaking my head. I couldn't speak. Dawson and Shay rushed in with a stretcher, checking Cora for a pulse and trying to get a response from her.

"She's lost a lot of blood. Any idea what happened?"

"She's pregnant." Jay's voice cracked.

"Marco."

I whipped around at Hank's voice. "You think?"

"I'm gonna kill that son of a BITCH!"

Hank turned around and walked out, Olinsky following behind. I noticed Antonio and Ruzek were there too. Along with Burgess and Atwater, two cops from our precinct.

"Erin. Erin focus." I turned back to see Gabby looking at me, face full of concern. "How far along was she?"

"Uh. Uh 34 weeks."

"I can't hear a heartbeat. We've gotta take her to Med."

"I'm riding with you."

I stood up and moved out of the way so Gabby and Shay could take Cora out. I followed them and Jay jogged up beside me.

"I'll follow behind the ambo. Ruzek and Dawson are gonna meet us at the hospital. Hey." He put his hands on my shoulders so I could focus on him. "I'm sure she's gonna be fine. And we're going to find out what happened. I promise you."