Chapter 13

The two officers finally came up and introduced themselves.

"Hey, I'm Kim Burgess. This is Kevin Atwater. I'm so sorry we never introduced ourselves before."

I smiled and pulled them in for hugs. "Don't worry about it. We all get busy. It's great to finally meet you."

Adam walked up behind Kim. "I know I'm hard to work around, but you could've just quit. You didn't have to do all this. You're just an attention seeker huh?"

Al smacked him on the back of the head. But I laughed and hugged him. "I can be a bit of a drama queen. Sorry. I know you don't like being outdone."

I made my way through the line of hugs, getting to Jay.

"You look better."

"Thanks, you don't look so bad yourself."

Jay laughed and shook his head before walking back to his seat. Hank and Kelly never moved, Erin gave me a hug, crying again but not saying anything.

"Cora, we can go back to your room or you can stay in here, but you probably need to sit down."

I turned to look at Will and nodded. "I'm gonna go sit."

I walked past Hank and put my hand on his shoulder, leaning down to kiss his head. He squeezed my hand but never said a word. I took up the empty seat beside Kelly.

"No hugs?"

He wouldn't look at me.

"Kelly."

"I know what you said Cor, but I can't help but feel responsible. I should've been more careful texting you."

"Kelly Severide. I've told you once, I'll tell you again. It. Was. Not. Your. Fault. You hear me? We were already arguing. Which means it would've happened whether you texted me or not. I swear to you, I don't blame you. I don't blame anyone but him. Okay? Come on Kel. I love you, you know that."

I saw him wipe his eyes so I pulled him over, hugging him tightly. He squeezed me in return. I bit back the pain, not wanting him to pull away.

I stayed in the waiting room for a few more minutes, listening to Hermann and Mouch's crazy stories of what's happened in the firehouse lately, and everyone's input to the stories. The room was filled with laughter. I didn't want to leave, but the chair was not comfortable and the pain wasn't going away. Will seemed to pick up on my expressions, because he walked over and helped me stand up.

"Okay guys. This lady needs to rest."

Everyone groaned and complained but told me they would be back to see me soon.

We got to the door and I stopped, turning around and taking in the faces of my favorite people in Chicago.

"Guys? I just wanted to say.... thank you for being here. And I'm so sorry for how I deserted you all."

"I think I speak on behalf of everyone when I say, all is forgiven and we never blamed you. We love you, Cora."

I smiled at Matt, fighting back tears. "Thank you. And I'll see you guys soon."

Once I got back into my bed, the pain and exhaustion took over, and I fell back asleep.