Chapter 15

"Alright sweetie, today is the day! Get to go home. You excited?"

I slowly slipped out of the bed and smiled at April as she took out my IV.

"I'm actually going to stay with Jay..."

"Dr. Halstead's brother? Uh oh." She winked at me.

"No it's nothing like that." I laughed while I picked up my clothes.

"Well he's a great guy either way. He'll take care of you, don't worry. I'll go get your paperwork while you get dressed."

I looked in the bag and saw a dress and sandals. Considering all the blood, someone must've brought me this so I wouldn't have to put my pajamas back on. I put the dress on and walked out, feeling weird. I looked down and saw the dress was baggy. It was a maternity dress. I put my hands over my belly. So much has happened, I've been doing everything I can to keep my mind off this. But this dress. Leaving the hospital, knowing I can't go home. Knowing I have to bury my baby boy this week. It was too much. I sunk down in one of the guest chairs, reaching for my bag. There was a sonogram picture in there. I pulled it out and started crying.

"Cora?"

I looked up through tear blurred eyes to see Jay rushing towards me. He put his hands on my shoulders.

"What happened?"

I held up the picture, hands shaking. He looked down and took it from me. His head dropped and he sighed.

"Oh man. I am so sorry, Cora. I'm so so sorry."

He pulled me into a hug and held me as I cried.

"Phewwwww I'm okay. I'm fine." Jay stood up and stuck his hand out, helping me up. I wiped the tears from my eyes and smiled.

"Thank you. Uhm April should be bringing in my paperwork. Do you know if Hank and Erin are here?"

"I didn't see them when I came in. I'll get your paperwork and go find out. Are you gonna be okay by yourself?"

I nodded and waved him away. April came in a minute later and I signed tons of documents. Will came in after April told me good luck.

"Hey lady. Ready to go?" I smiled and nodded. "Grab your stuff. I'll walk you out front."

He stuck his arm out and I linked mine with it.

"You're a good man Will Halstead. And a great doctor. Thank you for taking care of me."

"I was just doing my job. I wish I could've done a better one."

"Hey. Don't beat yourself up."

"I hope to see you again, Cora. But next time I don't want it to be as a patient."

"I am in full agreement with that one, Will."

We got to the front lobby and I heard my name called by a voice I haven't heard in a long time. I looked around to find Jay, Hank, and Erin standing by the door. Coming towards me was Justin, my brother and one of my best friends.

"Oh my god. Justin! How are you here?!"

Justin's hug was gentle but lengthy. "I got out this morning. Dad told me what happened. I'm supposed to be going to get a job, but I told him I had to see you first."

He wiped a tear from my face that I didn't know had escaped.

"I've really missed you, Justin. I would've come to see you, but..."

Justin shook his head. "Don't worry about it. I didn't really want anyone to see me in there. I was in a really rough spot. But I'm better now. I'm gonna do better. I promise."

I hugged him again. "I love you, brother. I'm so glad you're back."

Hank came over and patted him on the back. "It's time to go, son. We can't let you be late for that interview. Cora, get some rest. I'll call you later to check in. And call me if you need anything, understand?"

"Yes dad." I smiled but he just looked at me, scared in a way I've never seen Hank look. He grabbed me and hugged me tightly.

"I thought I was gonna lose you. Don't scare me like that again."

"I'll do my best. Go on. Good luck at that interview hon." I nodded at Justin and waved bye to Hank.

I turned around and hugged Will and told him bye. Jay and Erin walked up and grabbed my bag from him before he walked back inside.

"So something came up with Ruzek. Totally up to you, but if you wanted to go home and get your own stuff, Jay and I can take you. If not I'll get someone from the precinct to go."

"No. Actually, I would prefer to get my own stuff. So yeah, let's go."