Chapter 1

I listened to the shrill ringing on the phone as I walked through Grant Park.

"Lindsay."

"Well hello to you too, Ms. Professional."

"Oh sorry Cora! I didn't even look at who was calling in. What's up? Everything okay?"

I rubbed my hand over my belly and smiled at Erin's concerned tone.

"Everything is fine. I just miss you guys. It's been weeks. Can we grab dinner? I'm craving the purple pig."

Erin's laugh echoed through the speaker.

"Yeah. I'll tell Hank. How about Thursday at 8? Will anyone be joining you?"

I sighed heavily. "You know I never bring him along when I don't have to. So no. Just me and this gigantic belly of mine."

"I just wanted to make sure so I could give Hank a heads up. How's it going anyways?"

"Miserable. I'm 34 weeks pregnant, as big as a whale, and hot as hell. I'm ready to get this baby out."

"Well then you'll have your hands full. So enjoy it now! I gotta go but I'll check in later."

"Stay safe. See you Thursday."

I hung up the phone and sat down on a bench looking out at the water. Holy hell it's hot. Being this pregnant in July is miserable. I smiled at the thought of dinner on Thursday. Erin Lindsay and I, Coralie Hudson, had grown up with each other for the last 12 years. Hank Voight took her in when she was 14, when her mom was too high on drugs to take care of her, and her father was in jail. A couple of years later, me being 13, he took me in after my mom died, seeing as my dad split when I was a baby and no one knew where he was.

Hank did his best to keep us and his son, Justin, out of trouble. Erin goofed up a few times, but then she got her head on straight and became a cop. Now she's a detective for the Intelligence Unit at the Chicago Police Department, with Hank taking the lead on the unit. Justin is currently locked up for drinking and driving and hitting another vehicle. I haven't been to prison, or done drugs, but I think I steered more on Justin's path than Erin's as far as hanging around the wrong people.

I'm currently engaged to Marco Vincenzo, the nephew of a high end drug lord, actively planning to take over the "family business" once his uncle passes. To be honest, the only reason we are engaged is because I got pregnant. It may sound bad but... he has money, so he can take care of me and the baby. Right now I'm not working. I don't want to be living back with Hank and imposing on him, but I can't exactly afford live on my own and raise a child. When Hank found out I was pregnant and not planning to leave Marco, he was livid. Started investigating him to try and find something he could throw him in prison for. Marco isn't sloppy though. He knows how to keep his work hidden. Ever since then, my visits with Hank have been far and few between.

Hank doesn't know this yet, but I have some work lined up I can do from home, which will be perfect when the baby is born. It pays well, and it's legal. Once I get money saved up, I'm leaving Marco. I know I can count on Hank and Erin to get us away safely. But for now, I'm not telling a soul my plan. I can't risk mine or my baby's life.