District 13: The Reaping

Gale

I hated this. The Reaping. The Hunger Games. I don't think that people really thought about what the Games really meant. What they stood for. The Hunger Games gave the Capitol absolute power and control over the entirety of Panem. Of all the districts; not just District 13.

I don't think that people really understood what it meant to not only support the Games, but to take part in them.

But apparently, I didn't really have a choice in the matter considering that my name, Gale Hawthorne, had just been called.

Hannah

This was it. My life was over. I was called. I would be the next tribute for District 13. I, the rebel, would be expected to take part in the Hunger Games. I would be expected to kill my best friend Gale; who had also been selected.

This seriously couldn't be happening to me.

*       *       *

Gale and I sat on the train in silence. I don't think there was anything that either of us had to say. I mean, District 13 was in the middle of planning a rebellion. And now we had to compete in the Hunger Games. The only way for us to succeed now was to survive. And to avoid each other.

Gale

Hannah and I were now alone in one of the compartments on the train.

Our mentor for the Hunger Games is Ally Symynkywicz. She was vicious. She had won the Hunger Games thirty years ago. But she was still as strong as ever. I knew that I had to propose my idea to both her AND Hannah in order to be able to truly have the most power. We COULD do this.

Hannah

Gale was about to say something; I knew it by now. Something was on his mind and I wanted to know what. But I didn't know if he felt comfortable telling me in front of Ally.

But man oh man, I was I wrong.

*       *       *

"You're taking full part in the rebellion, right?" Gale asked Ally.

She looked at her feet and then slowly picked up her head. "Yes, I am."

Gale continued now, "Then I have a proposition. An idea for the Games."

I leaned in becoming more and more intrigued as he spoke.

"Hannah and I can start the rebellion from inside the Hunger Games. There are certain tributes that I' sure will join us in the fight for freedom. District 12 will for sure want to be a part of it. We would need to save the Career Tributes for last. Or we'd just have to kill them off."

I was flabbergasted. We could easily get ourselves killed for being in the Hunger Games but this. He was crazy.

"Gale," Ally began, "This is far too risky. Your best bet is to stay alive. The rebellion can begin after one of you wins."

"I'm not going to kill anyone. Not Gale. Never." I said taking a stand.

"I don't plan to kill Hannah either," said Gale. "She's my best friend. I think this is something that we need to consider. The Hunger Games are awful but this gives us an opportunity to take action. We can't just sit back and continue to watch the population of all the districts die."

And that's when I knew he was officially crazy. But funny enough, I was completely prepared to be crazy with him.

"I'm in," I said.