New Life?!

He nodded. Screams flooded the scene. "You have to go!" He said. "I'll be fine. They don't want to kill you. It's me they want. You see those trees." I turned to look where he was pointing. "We don't go pass those trees. Sneak pass them and you're free."

"Okay" I said. I looked at my leg. The blood was clearing up. But I've always kept the scar even today. I was ready. We hugged. "I will see you someday. Maybe once the war ends." He said. "We'll probably be dead before than." I said. His smile disappeared. "I promise, one day." He said.

I secretly hoped he kept his promise.

I was ready. I got on my feet and ran. There was a crowd that scared me with there rotten teeth and there scary eyes. I didn't look back. I couldn't look back. I was getting to the trees. My heart pumped. I could see my life coming amongst me. I made it out. They immediately stopped chasing me giving me a scared look. I looked not at them but in the distance. I saw them pick Carson up and start punching him like he was a punching bag. "STOP!" I yelled. But they kept punching him. He looked at me with a smile on his face. I knew he was okay. They carried him away. I had no time to waste.

I ran to the nearest town. A place called Craftman Harris. I've never heard of it. But I knew they were a religious town. I entered immediately seeing a thrift store. My clothes were ripped and dirty. I entered. No one was in the store. I looked around and found a purple shirt and sweatpants. I needed stuff I could easily run in. It was quite windy. I needed food. But I had no money. I could go to Jenny's town but that would take 6 days to get there. I saw a row of houses. I also saw a police station. I walked over and entered. I was greeted with over 50 people. I listened in. "Please I need money for my 5 children!" A women shouted. Next to her was 5 children. The oldest looked around my age. I listened in and it turns out the government was keeping more money than they should. They scolded everyone out. I approached the desk. "What's you're problem?" He asked. He seemed frustrated. "Hello officer, my name is Marie Flora. I live in a town a couple hours from here. The name is Catholic City-Burg. You know about the war yes?" He looked at me. "Of Course, the whole country knows about it!" He said. "Well," I continued. " I fled my town because of the atheists. They attacked our town and I don't know how many survivors there are. I have no money. Please sir, can I get a few dollars to start a new life." He had a disinviting look on his face. "Sorry little girl, we don't accept people from other towns unless you have a file telling you you can." "Please sir. You don't know what I've been through! Just a few nights and 15 dollars!" "I can only give you 10 dollars and you can stay 1 day and one night. That's the best I can do." He said impatiently. "Thank you sir." I said. "But don't tell anyone!" He said. I never questioned why. He asked my age and I told him 14. This would be the beginning of a new life. Or so I thought.

I thanked him. I was freezing. The night was so quiet. This town was twice as big as ours. The war hasn't struck this town yet, but everyone was sure paranoid. Doors were latched and windows were blocked. I felt nervous. The only people to be found were homeless folks and a couple on going shoppers. It was getting dark. I settled down near a carpenter store. I fell right asleep.
-------------------------------------------------------