Heading Off

Its been four days since Andrew went to war. I wasn't scared for him because I knew he was a strong boy and he WILL survive. I hope.

I woke up to mama sleep talking. She usually talked about Papa since there marriage was like two diamonds in the sea. I've learned to ignore the words but tonight I couldn't. I leaped out of bed and went to mama's door. "Why can't you come back? Things are so hard here." She let out a big cry and I wanted to comfort her but I knew she was drunk and it wouldn't be wise. "I was going to leave but she said: "If my little girl dies I will have nothing left." I knew she was talking in the event if Andrew dies first. She thinks he will die in war but I've learned to stay positive. I creep back to bed. Trying to be as quiet as possible. But something frightened me. It sounded like a firework. But it's June. I knew it wasn't a firework. It was a bomb. I panicked. It went off in a near by town. Sirens went off and I woke mama up. "Let's go!" I screamed. "Marie" she said. "Let's GO!" I said with tears forming in my eyes. "I love you." She said. I yanked her up, took her hand, and ran. She was stubbornly following me. We got to the police base and I couldn't be happier right now. I saw a sister and brother that go to my school and decided to say hello. They had a brother who's 16 and was friends with Andrew. He went to war as well. We knew each other but the only thing I've said is sorry for knocking over the girl's pencils.

"Hello, I'm Marie. I go to your school. Your brother and my brother we're friends." I said sticking out my hand the girl shook it. "I'm Ida, nice to meet you." She smiled. She was one of the few people in my grade who was still 13. We awkwardly stood there for a moment and said. "Oh this is Frank." She gestured to her brother. "He's 10." Ida was tall, had dirty blond hair, and had glasses. But Frank was stubby and had red hair like me. We talked about our brothers, it was great because we talked about funny memories of them. Then we talked about our life. I told positive things because of there was a chance she didn't know me from the incident I will take it. But she did. So I was forced to talk about it. Another explosion came. "Ida I'm scared." Frank said. She gave him a hug. Their parents came. They were in shock to see me like I was a creature farting rainbows. "Dad this is Marie." Ida said. It was very rare you came across someone who called their father "Dad." This family was fatal. Yet so was my life.

"OKAY EVERYONE, GET INTO YOUR DORM GROUPS!" The sherif called. I went back with mama and asked for our dorm tickets. "THERE WILL BE ABOUT THIRTY PEOPLE TO A DORM." He yelled. We were D20 and D21. We walked into a big room with a bunch of bunk beds. I didn't know anyone who was also in the room. We claimed our beds, mama getting bottom I getting top. It was very cold. But the only other thing in the room was a shelf of books. Everyone was to shy to grab a book. So I propped down and walked over to the shelf of books. Everyone looked at my in awe. "Is that the girl who saved the town?" Someone asked. "Yeah it really is." Said a man. I grabbed a book and turned around. Everyone was staring at me. Adults and kids. I knew I had to do something about this. "Ahem! I would regret to inform you that the action I took for the greater of the town was three years ago. I do not consider myself a hero in any matter and neither should you." The people including mama were in shock. And I continued. "I do however consider myself as a citizen of this town. I don't want to be called 'The girl who saved the town.' I want to be known as who I am. Marie! None of you no me yet some spend all their time staring. Does ANY of you have the courage to do ANYthing." I walked back to my bunk. I wanted to sound as smart as possible. The room was silent. Everyone was still staring. I Laid down on my bed, pretending to read. So people would stop looking at me. Then all at once everyone went up to grab a book. Clapping came from the bunk next to me. I turned. "Great job, sweetheart." It was Carson. "Sweetheart!!!" I said getting mad. "Sweetheart?" Mama said. "Marie I didn't know you had a boyfriend!" "WHAT?!" I yelled. "No No No, he's not..."
Aww yes we're very much in love!" He said. With his fake smile.
"How long has this been going on?" Mama asked.
It's NOT a thing!" I said.
I pulled him over to a corner where no one could hear us. He laughed. "I hate you." I said. "Now my mom thinks I have a boyfriend." He continued laughing. "How did you know there was war?" I asked. He grew serious. "Okay, I'm not allowed to tell anyone this." He said in a deep tone. "I'm an atheist."