Chapter 16: Surprise?

My eyes flew open. I was suddenly aware that something heavy was holding me down. I rolled over to find Wolfe practically naked snoring in my ear. He was so cute when he slept. I sighed deeply. Oh well.

            I hated to do it, but there was no way he was going to easily get away with everything. I placed my hands on his chest, and a small smile settle on his lips while a smirk settled on mine. His eyes opened, but they narrowed in confusion when he took in my expression.

            I pushed his chest hard, and he went sprawling to the floor. He grunted when he hit the floor, but recovered quickly. “Are you going to make it a habit out of hurting me every time I'm in your room?”

            “If that's what it takes, then yes.” I got out of bed and pulled out a pair of pajamas from my dresser.  I heard a growl behind me, but ignored it.

            “You’re my mate. You can't just ignore me forever you know.” I spun towards him, anger building inside me.

            “I'm not your mate.” Suddenly he was in front of me, and his hands grabbed my shoulders.

            “This is my mark; my claim on you.” I rubbed it gently as I pulled out of his grasp. I knew the teeth marks had healed and all that was left was a barely visible design of swirls that interlaced through each other.

            “I don't care. You have obviously found someone else.” Another low growl escaped his lips, but I was too focused on the pain my own words had caused me.

            “No I haven't. You are the only one I care about. I love you Reese.” I almost gave up on my anger. Almost forgave him. Almost ran to him. Almost, but then the image that would forever be scorched into my brain appeared. His hands all over that girl, and I lost it.

            I swung, but he was fast and I missed. “Reese?” Another swing. “What are you doing?!” Another.

            “How dare you tell me that you love me when you had your hands all over that girl who I now know is living with you at your house!” OK, I was not totally sure that was true, but the silence that followed only solidified the facts.

            “I'm sorry Reese, I was just trying to make you jealous. She means nothing to me.” This time I kneed him in the groin and he doubled over.

            “Is that supposed to make me feel better!” I was practically shrieking, but it did not matter to me. He was only digging himself into a deeper whole.

            “What do you want me to do?” That was a good question.

            “I don't know. I don't trust you Wolfe.” He stood up, but kept a cautious distance. A small smile formed on my lips. Smart choice. I felt a nudge on my shield; it was the same one I had been feeling for weeks, and I still ignored it. “You can't force your way in Wolfe. I need time.”

            He took a step towards me, and I let him embrace me. “I will do whatever it takes to win back your trust.”

            “I know, but right now I think you should leave. I will be over tonight. There are some things I need to talk to you about.” He let go and looked at me for a moment before turning towards the window.

            “I really am sorry Reese.” He jumped and I didn't bother to watch him go. Suddenly a wave of nausea hit me and I ran for the bathroom. This had been happening a lot lately. Maybe I had caught something or the stress was finally getting to me.