Chapter 7: An Unexpected Ally (pic of Stella)

The next morning, I woke up in Wolfe's arms again, but this time instead of feeling frantic, I felt completely at peace with myself. He snored lightly in my ear, and I giggled as his scruffy cheeked rubbed against my neck. He stirred, but did not wake up.

            Carefully I moved out of his arms trying not to wake him up. I threw on my light blue tank top and gray sweatpants. I stepped outside my room and made sure that the sound-proofing spell was still intact. The door click as the dead bolt on the inside of the door turned. I could smell breakfast being cooked downstairs. Thankfully my parents would expect me to eat a big breakfast after yesterday’s trials.

            “Reese?”

            “Good morning.” I could feel myself smiling as I walked into the kitchen. My mother looked perplexed, but my uncle just chuckled silently and turned back to cooking the bacon.

            “Where are you?” He sensed my happiness and his laughter traveled through the bond.

            “I'm getting you some breakfast. I hope you’re hungry.”

            “Starving!” I filled my plate with multiples of everything.

            “Hungry?” My uncle bumped me as I continued to grab for food. It was easy to be around my uncle. Sometimes I wished he had been my father rather than Ezekiel.

            “Well it took a lot out of me to heal.” I heard my mother’s sharp intake of breath but refused to face her. “Besides I love your breakfasts.”     

            I started to leave the kitchen when my father walked in dressed as usual in his black button down shirt and black dress pants. Even on a Saturday, he just couldn’t relax. My father use to be quite handsome with his light brown hair and smile lines, but the past couple of years had hardened him and those smile lines were replaced with multiple wrinkles on his forehead from frowning constantly.

            “Reese, why don't you join us for breakfast?”

            “I'm sorry, but I think families are the only ones who eat breakfast together.”

            His frown deepened, “We are a family Rochelle.”

            “We stopped being a family a long time ago Ezekiel.”

            He took a step towards me in rage before composing himself. “I am your father Rochelle and you will show me some respect.”

            I could hear the acid in his voice, but it only spurred me on. “Respect is for those who deserve it. Not cowards that hide behind demons.”

            “Reese! He is your father and the head of the coven!” Great, now my mother had found her voice.