Chapter 4: A Mate for Life (Pic of Jacob)

(Reese POV)

It was two in the morning before I was finally sure my mother and father had gone to sleep. My bedroom window was two stories up, but the jump wouldn't hurt me. I opened the window and let the cool night breeze wash over me. For a moment I was weightless, plummeting to the ground, but then I forced my body to slow down. When I finally hit the ground, I touched down one foot at a time making sure I was stable before fully release myself out of my levitation.

            “You've been practicing, I see.” Shit. My uncle was leaning against the house with a knowing smile on his face. There was no way he was going to stop me. I would fight him if I had to.

            “You can't stop me. I'm going to figure out a way to help them.” He languidly pushed himself off the wall. Jacob was much more easy going than his brother. He only appeared strict and tough when they had their meetings, but really he was just as much of a rebel as I was sometimes.

            “No one’s stopping you Reese. I just thought you might want this.” He tossed me a pouch made with some strange kind of fabric. It had a weird herbal smell to it. Inside was a knife and I finally realized what it was for. The silver glinted white in the moonlight and the intricate carvings were like nothing I had ever seen before.

            “Do you think I’ll really need it?” I knew Wolfe would not hurt me. I do not know why I thought that since I barely knew him, but something happened earlier today that made me trust him completely.

            He took a step towards me and looked right into my still blue eyes. “Just because you and Wolfe have a connection doesn't mean the others will be as … respectable. Remember Reese, buried inside them is a wild animal. That knife won’t kill Wolfe because he's an alpha, but that pouch is made with wolfs bane and those carvings are thousands of years old. It'll just hurt like hell, and give you a chance to run.”

            I nodded slowly, apparently someone had noticed whatever it was that had happened between Wolfe and me today. I placed the knife back in the pouch and took off towards the woods where Wolfe had gone off into earlier.

            At the edge of the forest, I stopped and closed my eyes. I thought of Wolfe and willed myself to find him. Tracking spells were very hard, especially when I did not have anything of Wolfe's to track him with. But the familiar warmth that I got when my I used my new powers filled me.

            Suddenly, I was speeding through the forest. Trees past by me at impossible speeds, and it was exhilarating. It was like I could see exactly what Wolfe saw when he ran home. Finally, I entered a clearing and saw an old two story mansion. It looked similar to ours, but somehow older. There was a girl on the front porch cleaning her nails with a knife, and when she saw me or I guess Wolfe, a seductive smile spread across her face and she stalked towards him.

            Hate surged through me and my eyes flew open. I was standing in the clearing, but it had not felt like I had been moving at all. I thought that I had still been standing at the edge of the woods. Holy shit, how did I do that! But more importantly, who the hell was that bitch, and why did I care? He was probably her mate anyways. Which would mean our encounter earlier meant nothing to him, and I was just some piece of ass.