Chapter 13: Betrayal

“What the hell was that for!” He stumbled back holding his check. I, on the other hand, was trying not to scream in pain. My hand was definitely broken, and I needed to heal it before Wolfe noticed.

            I ignored his agitation and walked over to my night stand. My hand was already healing at a slightly accelerated pace, but not fast enough. Our race healed quickly, but not instantly like the others and that was why we had discovered our own way to speed up the process.

            In the second drawer, there was a small blue bottle. The only problem was, I couldn't open it without using both hands. I took a deep breath and grabbed the bottle with my broken hand. The pain was excruciating, but I bit my lip to stop another scream.

            Before I could open it, I felt Wolfe come stand behind me. “Are you alright?”

            “Yes.” I was a little breathless, but I hoped he hadn't noticed.

            To my fear he had, and he pulled my hand gently away from the bottle. Tears had started to form in the corner of my eyes from the pain, so I didn't protest. “Thanks”

            He didn't respond. He uncorked the bottle and handed it to me. I looked up to find him staring at me intently. We stared at each other for a moment before the ache in my hand brought me back to the present.

            I looked at the bottle apprehensively, the potion tasted disgusting. But I suppose most medicine does. It tasked like dirt and the moment I swallowed, I started choking. Wolfe took a step towards me, but I waved him off. I was use to this and the burning sensation that was now consuming my hand was a welcome feeling.

            It started to subside and I flexed my hand to make sure everything had healed properly. Wolfe grabbed my hand and messaged it. Again such a simple touch inflamed me, so I snatched my hand away.

            He didn't bother to hide his hurt, and I turned away from him so I couldn't see his face. There was silence between us for a moment before I couldn't take it anymore. I turned towards him, but all I saw was his back. “Wolfe?”

            His back tensed and his fists clenched. Slowly he turned around and to my surprise, there were tears in his eyes. “Why won’t you let me help you?”

            The hurt in his voice was clear and my heart tightened. “I don't need your help, Wolfe.”

            He looked at me for a second and his eyebrows came to together. “Do you even want me?”

             I hesitated to respond and the hurt in his eyes deepened.

            “I do want you, but we're not natural... maybe.. maybe this was a mistake.” This time he was filled with so much sadness that I couldn't help but feel it through the bond. It almost over powered me. I wanted to take it all back, but I knew what needed to be done. I wasn't meant to be a Luna. We were natural enemies and I was only distracting Wolfe from what he needed to do.