Chapter 6: Blood Shed (Pic of Zeke)

Fear ripped through me and I pushed myself out of my mother’s embrace. She looked hurt and shocked, but I couldn't worry about her right now. My concern was for Wolfe. “I should have come home alone.” Now my father would kill him and he didn't even know the worst of it yet.

            “Where have you been Reese.” My father's calm tone was worse than if he had been angry.

            There was no way I was going to tell him what happened last night, but my father would know if I was lying. “I went to offer the Were's my assistance in their fight against the Primus.” That was probably a mistake, but at least I could protect Wolfe.

            Rage burned in his eyes.  “You disobeyed my orders Rachelle. Punishment will be swift and painful.” I wasn't scared of my father's threats; I knew that when I returned home there would be consequences. “And you, how dare you step foot in my house mutt.”

            “He came to bring me home.” I heard the sound of his hand against my face before I felt any pain. Wolfe's anger burned through the bond, but if we had any chance of surviving my father's wrath then he would have to control himself. He was very close to ripping my father's head off.

            “No, please. Tell him that you refused my request and brought me home as a show of peace.” Through gritted teeth, Wolfe told my father exactly what I told him to. My father looked at him for a moment before responding, “Fine, but you are not to step foot in this house ever again. Leave now.”

            He stood there a moment before turning to leave. I could feel his inner struggle to stay and fight, but he knew that the best way to protect me was to leave. The door shut and my father turned his attentions back to me. “The basement, now.”

            “Zeke is that really necessary?” My mother feared for me, but I knew it would do no good. He turned to her in anger and my mother flinched. The only redeeming quality about my father was that he did love my mother and when she flinched he softened.

            “My dear, it is what's best.” My mother closed her eyes and nodded solemnly with tears rolling down her cheeks. I knew she would agree to anything he said. She was terrified of him, but loved him anyways. “Jacob, please take Mary upstairs and I will take care of Rachelle.”

            My uncle took my mother up to her room and my father turned to drag me to the basement. The basement of our house was like our training room. Stella and I learned how to harness our power down there without harming the house or exposing ourselves to humans. Those humans who had seen our basement, where those who had been possessed and had my mother and father perform exorcisms on them.

            If he was taking me down there to punish me, I could only imagine that it was so no one would hear my screams.

                        ==================================================

            The basement was very bright for an underground room. My fear slowly began to consume me when I saw the summoning spell written in blood on the white walls. The sparing mat had been removed from the floor, and all the tables and books had been moved to the corners. It hit me hard when I realized just how severe my punishment was.