Please

Eons passed before I heard a recognizable voice. It belonged to my mother, Donna Kane. "Oh, Patrick!" she cried pulling my decaying figure into an embrace. I didn't know how to respond, so I just cried into her shoulder.

After she pulled away, she held onto my hand. "Why don't we go to the waiting room? The doctors will fill us in there."

I cooperated with my mom. My brain was too numb to even try to fight back. They must know that something happened to... to Jonny. He has to be okay. He just has to.

I didn't even realized that we was back in that private waiting room. My parents sat on either sides of me. It seemed like it was for protection, but what are they waiting for, someone to attack me or me attack someone else.

Staring at the door, I wished that I knew what was going on in that hospital room. He could already be pronounced dead, but he can't. He's supposed to grow old with me. Together we would play hockey, win more Stanley Cups, win some more awards, retire together, start a family. We was supposed to have a future together. Jonny, you can't die before our true future started. I couldn't survive without you.

The only sounds was the tick of the clock. It sounded so loud that it could make anyone go mad. Tick.... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... Tick... Tick... Tick... Tick... TICK... TICK... TICK, TICK TICK, TICK, TICK, TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK!

I was tempted to scream out and break that clock, but somehow I managed to keep control of that urge. I was so tensed that I didn't even realized that my mom pulled my body into a hug. "Patrick, just breath. Jonny is a fighter, and he loves you more than anything else. Remember that, no matter what happens, remember that."

Tears flooded back into my eyes as I laid my heavy, pounding head on my mom's shoulder.

My eyes close, not because I was tired but because I needed an escape from this hell.

"Patrick, Patty, wake up," Jonny's voice erupted in my mind. "Come on Kaner, we got to get going. We're going to be late for practice." I could feel Jonny kissing my lips to try to get me up.

My eyes fluttered open, but I wasn't where I thought I was. I wasn't in our bedroom, but instead I saw that I was still there in the hospital. I instantly squeeze my eyes shut.

"Kaner, will you get up? We cannot afford being late, again!" Jonathan's voice whined. Like before his voice sounded like it was in the room, so I opened my eyes for a brief second to see where I am.

"I love you so much, Kaner. No matter what happens in hockey or in life, I will always love you," Jonny's voice softly spoke. This time I knew that this was a memory. "Can you just promise me something?"

I remember that I stared at him wondering what possibly he wanted. I was skeptic, but I knew that it won't be too bad. "Can you promise me that no matter what happens, if I get hurt or if something happened to me, that you won't quit hockey. You are made to play hockey. Don't quit until you cannot possibly continue."

"What?" I was too stunned to answer. "Why would you think that something will happen to one of us?"

Jonny looked at me. "Patrick, we play hockey, something bad is bound to happen to us. Season ending injuries and concussions are only the beginning. Can you just promise me that?" I didn't answer right away, "Kaner?"

"This is very important to you isn't it?" I didn't wait for him to respond in any way. "I promise, Jonny, but I promise you nothing will happen to either of us. We will both live until we are so old that we are turning to dust."

"Patrick, you cannot promise that. You don't know what will lay in front of us."

"I know, but I'm not planning on anything to happen to either of us."

Jonathan rolled his eyes at me. "You don't have to plan it. It'll happen if it's supposed to happen. Neither of us can change anything."

"Have some hope, Jonny."

He rolled his eyes at me. "Whatever, if we continue this we are going to fight again. Let's just end this right here."

"Okay," past me softly said before we headed to bed. "Love you." 

"I'll love you no matter what happens."

The last sentence ringed though my head. "I will love you no matter what," I whispered before I opened my eyes.

I don't know how long I was in my memory. I was still in the same place as I was before. The only thing different was that's my mom's arm was around my shoulder. No one said anything.

Time continued to tick by, but this time the ticks wasn't as madding. I had the memory to keep my mind occupied.

'I'll love you no matter what happens.' If he really loves me, he won't leave me. I don't think that I'm going to be able to survive without him.

I was too lost in thought to even realize that somebody entered. Nothing indicated it to me until I feel myself gets pulled into a hug. I looked up and saw that it was Mama Tazer. Once she pulled away, my mom took Jonny's parents out of the room to fill them in. Well, that's what I figured was the reason.

Soon all of us sat there in silence, waiting for what seemed like forever to find out some basic news.