21

❝darling you give love a bad name❞

• C H A P T E R  T W E N T Y O N E •

After the talk with Elijah, Veronica mustered up her courage once she saw Kol alone in the backyard. She knew she had to talk to him sooner than later. Preferably sooner. She walked and sat next to Kol who looked at her for a brief moment before looking away. He was about to stand up until Veronica grabbed his wrist forcing him to look at her. "Please, stay.."

He bit his lip, and sat down, keeping a slight distance from her. Veronica couldn't stop looking at him, mostly his eyes. It was always her habit, staring into someone's eyes and trying to figure the person out. What he/she was thinking, how they felt at the moment, and mostly, what kind of a person they were. Dangerous or lethal? Kind or innocent? "What?" Kol asked a bit harshly, and regretted it immediately.

"I like your eyes Kol. I always have." She said to him softly ignoring his tiny outburst. "You've been through so much. So much, pain and agony lies behind all those lies and violence."

He looked at her frowning a bit, ever since Veronica was a human she did this. "You're being all poetry again." He scoffed looking back at his feet. 

"I'm sorry for all the pain, if I could I would take it away." She said to him softly once again, ignoring him. But Veronica wasn't a patient person. She was slowly becoming frustrated at the fact that he wouldn't look at her. "Look at me Kol." She whispered to him but he didn't budge. Veronica was hurting too, but he was too stubborn to let his guard down. "Look at me." She said fiercely, but nothing happened. 

"Can you look at me when I'm talking to you?" She almost yelled now as Kol turned to look at her staring into her hazel eyes. "I'm not angry at you, I'm sad. I'm in pain too Kol. For centuries I felt like I've lost something, the pain was too much inside my heart I starved myself. I just wanted to be out, away from it. And I was, until Reese woke me. For centuries, I knew something was missing but I didn't know what." She pursed her lips together, looking at him. "You knew what was missing from your life, and that wasn't fair for me. So take my word, and believe me. I'm not angry at you, and neither should you be."

She stood up, as Kol followed her every moment. "Think about it, Kol. Let go of the pain and agony that haunts you. Stop living in the past and live in this exact moment. I'n not telling you to turn off your humanity, I'm telling you to stop dwelling and drowning in the sea of sadness and be happy for once."

Veronica was about to walk away until she looked over her shoulder. "Think about it." She whispered but her voice was loud enough for him to hear her because of his unnatural hearing ability. She left Kol alone, and once again he was haunted by his dark thoughts until he decided to let go. He had confronted his darkness and took it upon himself to conquer it.

  ○○○  

Veronica sat down to the living room's couch, as she sighed brushing her now tangled hair. She kept sighing a minute after a minute until she heard someone else sigh. "Love I cannot concentrate with you sighing every second. What is it?" Niklaus asked, holding a paint brush in his hand.

Veronica sighed once more, looking at him. "Your whole family is internally exhausting." He hummed agreeing to it. 

"You're referring to Kol are you not?" Veronica nodded looking into his eyes. "He's exhausting."