5

❝i didn't realise i loved you until i lost you.❞

F L A S H B A C K C H A P T E R

[MYSTIC FALLS
MIKAELSON BALL]

Holding her mask close she entered the house, seeing lots of people. But when she saw Elijah, she couldn't believe her eyes. He had gotten even more handsome during the long years, if that was possible.

She looked at the man beside him, a dirty blond hair. Veronica didn't know him, but he was handsome. She could only assume he was one of the Original family.

Veronica looked towards the table where the drinks were served as she saw a familiar blue eyed young vampire. Immediately knowing who he was she smiled. Walking over the table she stood next to him, as he turned seeing her.

"Leila." He said, using a fake name Veronica had given him. Before the ball they planned everything. When they met Veronica told all of them to use the name Leila for pre-cautions.

"Damon, it's a pleasure." She said back looking at the people having a conversation. "How's the original hunt going?"

Damon shrugged looking down at her with a slight smirk. "The same old."

As Veronica was about to say something a slow, beautiful sound filled the air as Damon stepped in front of her. "Care for a dance?"

Veronica smirked, taking his hand as he led her to the dance floor. "You always surprise me Damon. With your charm and all." Damon smirked as he placed his hands on her waist going lower until she stopped him.

"Damon.." She said looking at him as she placed hers on his neck. "Don't give me a reason to hurt you." She said to him as Damon only shrugged.

"You love me too much." Veronica shrugged kind of agreeing. She liked the young vampire and his witty remarks.

As the partners changed she was swooped into powerful, strong arms as her breath hitched in surprise. She looked at him through her mask, as they kept dancing in silence. He was beautiful, the first thing Veronica noticed about people is their eyes. And his were beautiful, they held happiness and yet a tiny amount of agony, sorrow and pain. It surprised her, she never sees eyes like that.

"Like what you're seeing?" The man asks as Veronica smiled, looking down at their moving feet. "I could ask the same thing." She said to him, no she didn't feel attracted to him. Simply he was just another beautiful creature she sees everyday.

The man laughed a bit, as the song stopped. Veronica curtseyed and his eyes held an amount of shock. Veronica blushed a bit, "I -- I.. Old habits."

The man only smiled showing his tiny dimples. He bowed as he took her hand, his lips grazing her knuckles. "Kol Mikaelson."

Veronica's mouth parted a bit but soon she regained herself. "Leila Lodge." She said to him while smiling.

She frowned, using her inhuman hearing as she heard something. Her eyes widened as she turned to the Mikaelson sibling. "I'm sorry Kol. It was a pleasure to meet you, but I must leave." Veronica pulled her hand out of his as she ran outside seeing the man she feared.

He got off from his jet black motorbike taking off his helmet as well. He ruffled his hair, noticing the girl on the stairs. "Veronica." She stopped in her tracks looking at him, his eyes. His eyes are what feared her the most. There was no longer any happiness no love, only anger and sadness.

"Reese." She whispered attempting to get away but he caught her as he pinned the girl down holding her by her throath.

"You think you can just slip away, just like that little sister?" He asked her tilting his head a habit Veronica too had.

"Reese, please just let me explain!" She yelled as her older brother took of her mask. "I didn't do it! I didn't!" She yelled tears flowing down her cheeks as Reese smiled wiping her tears with his thumb.

"No one's going to save you." He whispered as he teared through her flesh, gripping on her heart. Veronica gasped looking at him. "Do it. I dare you." She muttered in pain as Reese kept looking at her, as if torturing her.

"I love you Reesey." She whispered, closing her eyes, until the weight of his body disappeared. She breathed in as she looked up, her brother knocked out cold on the green wet grass and Damon.

He held out his hand towards her which she took. She hugged him as Damon held her tightly in his embrace.

"I'm sorry Damon, I need to leave. Now." She said to him as they pulled apart, Damon looking at the man whose neck he had snapped. Veronica followed his gaze looking at her brother.

"You can't kill him."

Damon turned to her frowning. "Why?"

"Because he cannot be killed." Veronica looked down at her brothers body. "Not with your help."