16

❝we accept the love we think we deserve.❞

• C H A P T E R   S I X T E E N •

"Do you need help with that?" Veronica turned around and saw a man, nearly her age. He was looking at the stuff she was carrying. "I don't want to burden you.." She said quietly looking at him. Reese wasn't with her, and he usually took her away when a man attempted to talk to her. 

"You won't." He said confidently smiling at her. He bowed a bit. "Kol." 

Veronica curtseyed, smiling back at him. "Veronica."

  ○○○  

On a sunny day, the two walked in the central of the village, talking and getting to know each other. "Veronica!" She turned around and saw Reese running to her, and she was slowly panicking. Kol however didn't leave by her side which worried her more. 

Reese looked at Kol, for a while then turning to her sister. " I was looking for you." Veronica smiled nervously. "Here I am."

Reese bowed slightly to Kol as he did the same. "Can I trust you with my sister?" Kol's eyes widened a bit, he thought that the two were a couple, since they certainly didn't look like siblings. "You can."

  ○○○

"It's a game, you have to chase each other. A child taught it to me in the village." Veronica explained to him and he saw she was excited. 

"That sounds like a stupid game." He said frowning a bit. Veronica sighed smiling. "It's a fun game." She pouted a bit, before she ran to the forest laughing as Kol smiled, running after her.

Once he caught her, he spinned her around as she giggled. "See, it is fun!" He let her go as he ran to a clearing, where was green grass and apple trees, Veronica chasing him. 

"You're too fast!" She yelled as Kol laughed looking behind him.

  ○○○  

Veronica was holding a basket in her hands trying to reach the apples, but she was too short. She hoped that Kol would suddenly appear behind her and help her, yet he didn't. She placed the basket on the ground trying to jump, but it didn't work. She turned around and saw a man, which startled her. "I apologise, I did not mean to startle you." He said gently, as she smiled. "No it is alright."

The mysterious man bowed, as he took her hand in his, slightly kissing her knuckles. She blushed a bit at his behaviour. 

"Elijah Mikaelson." He said smiling as Veronica curtseyed. "Veronica Young, it's a pleasure Mr. Mikaelson."

What she didn't know that a certain young man was watching from the distance before walking away.

  ○○○  

"Veronica." Kol said, looking at the girl, he wanted to remember her while she was still human. She turned to him a frown on her face. She had realised that Elijah and Kol were siblings. But it was too late. Kol forced her to look into his hazel eyes as she tried to break free from his grip. 

"Don't Kol, please don't do this to me. You can't, please, I beg you." She cried as Kol his tears. He had to be quick, Elijah would visit her soon. "Kol, please, don't! You cannot do this to me, Kol we are friends, I love you and I don't want to lose my friend, Kol please!" She yelled but she knew that he would do it.

"Forget about me, forget the hugs and laughs we shared." Her pupils dilated, the tears running down her cheeks. "Forget me, and everything that reminds you of me, Kol Mikaelson."

With that he sped away from her room leaving Veronica alone. After the compulsion, Veronica frowned as she wiped her face but smiled happily. She had forgot him.

Veronica breathed in a cry as Kol let her go. Elijah looked at the two confused, as Veronica brushed her hair back looking into Kol's eyes. "How could you?" She asked looking at him. 

Kol opened his mouth and closed it, he had nothing to say. "How could you?" She asked again looking at Kol. She sat down to the couch as she frowned looking down at her feet. She remembered how much she actually enjoyed his company when she was human. She remembered how much it hurt for Kol to say those words to her. Kol about to touch her she stepped back looking at him, and she saw how broken he actually was. That's why his eyes looked so beautiful but broken that day at the ball. 

"Don't touch me." She said as she walked to her room, leaving Kol and Elijah alone. Elijah sighed a bit once Kol had told him everything. He stood up walking to Veronica's room, as he opened the door carefully to see her sitting on her bed. 

He sat down next to her as he pulled her into his warm embrace, and she accepted it. "You've never taken anything from me, right?" She asked quietly as Elijah shook his head. 

"I would never do that to you."