Alluring In Blood -8

“Father,” I greeted the stiff man curtsying politely, the candles flickered when he waved his hand to the nearby rustic chair. I seated myself quietly not daring to meet his amber eyes that are so unlike mines.

        It wasn’t fair, I was going to be judged to a death sentence by my own father. He looked at me coldly all the warm depth in those amber eyes wilting away ever since mother died. He blamed me and I blamed myself too. I was the one to return alive not her but me.

      The candles flickered pleasantly to the main hall, grey stones after stones and only the red throne and carpet to add to the colors of the otherwise grey surface. Father looked old. His wrinkles more apparent than ever, his smile lines erased themselves from existence from the lack of use, and the graying hair that covered his entire front section.

       I sighed quietly to calm myself. I wouldn’t explode and let myself free with the wrong emotions. Be calm Sophia or you’ll sentence him and yourself to that death sentence.

     “What do you want me to do?” Father whispered painfully but his voice still echoed. “What do you want to do?” He asked, I shuddered and bit my lips to strain the tears from leaking.

     “I’m sorry father, but I do not regret it.” I said holding my head high. I knew how to play it, just stay strong then break down and father will pity us enough to free us. Free us in separate ways that is.

             Fathers eyes flashed dangerously but the pride betrayed them. I knew he saw mother in me but was to humble to ever voice it. Not once did he compliment me nor care for me. He was a king after all. The king never can show weakness, and that weakness would be love.

             I glanced at the sword by his throne. It looked so peaceful just laying there not a single drop covering its silver frame, I wasn’t fooled. I knew that very sword could be the thing that could separate the love of my life. “I’m dying,”

           I broke from my thoughts startled, my face slackened into disbelief, pain, relief. I couldn’t help the last part, a small selfish part of me hoped with father dead that I’d get him back and avoid all this betrayal of the kingdom nonsense.

         “You got your wish Sophia, now you grant mines.” Father replied not caring of my reaction. He suddenly seemed too cruel of a man to hold a spot in my heart. “You will become Queen after two weeks time.” I blanked out not apprehending fathers’ word as his lips moved still on the subject of crowning.

       I knew he wanted me to be queen, just not this early. I licked my lips and looked away from the piercing stare he sent my way. It was a silent offer, become the queen; the lover boy will be released but banished from the kingdom. Deny the heritage and suffer the consequences unleashed upon him and the baby.

      I knew cradling my stomach will just unleash the fury he had so I avoided it but pointedly dropped my gaze downwards. “I know the truth,” I said still unable to look at father.

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **  

      “It’s him isn’t it?” a feminine voice whispered. Dakota.

      “How should I know? We’ll just ask her when she wakes up.” A frustrated voice snapped. I traced the voice back to Jason since Drew would never snap at Dakota. “Stop touching me!”

      I held back a giggle. I strained my ears to hear the faint gust of wind each time Dakota moved to probably poke Jason. I wondered what he was doing here. He hated me didn’t he? At least I got on his nerves if not hate.