Alluring In Blood -21

Three weeks passed. I only visited Dakota then crawled back to my room to mull things over. Sabina and Ashton kept postponing their arrival, Landon and the rest are wary of me. I don't blame them, I'm sort of out of it, always thinking of the dream and everything that happened from Devin to Clarisse. Not the sanest bunch, me and Dakota but we're enjoying each other quiet company.

          Was that what Dakota meant? Were the songs sung to me the very same that were known to her ears? I doubted it, the lyrics had to much that only I could make sense of.

Like what? Okay, fine you got me there.

          But Dakota is too innocent. She’s secure in these walls whereas I’ve been to Hell. I’ve had a reason to anger the king of darkness. Is he the king of darkness? Who cares, it’s a fitting name anyway. Devin’s to informal for me, just as Dad is too much of a loving gesture.

I’m related to the Devil. I’m a mutant’s spawn.

          Where is Ileana to cheer me up with her agreements? I looked over to her empty canvas, wishing for a distraction. Stretching out my arm, I studied it. It wasn’t smooth anymore, it bore the tiniest bumps of the signature.

          I doubted anybody but me could see it. I was grateful for that. I had enough questioning with why Dakota and I kept falling for hysteria symptoms excessively too much for our liking. Maybe we are crazy.

Dakota’s insane from the lack of love, And I, insane from the overload of love.

          Follow the list. The thought still rang clear in my head, just before I passed out. Call Clarisse. Somehow, I forgot the emotional strings that were involved with that call. Curiosity pulled a side and need to stay ignorant pulled at the other.

          Was I ready to know about myself? I learned the start of the Vampires, but not mine.

          I traced the locket with my hands nervously and stared at the phone. “Dial her already!” Ileana screamed causing me to jump violently and drop the locket.

          “What the hell Ileana?” I yelped as I crouched to pick the locket. It was bent open but there was a miniature cross laying in-between the metal. I clasped the cross and it immediately shivered then transformed into a ring.

          A Christian cross? What good is that to me? I frowned at it but placed it on my pinky anyway. It did nothing but sooth my warm skin. Why would Julian leave me a useless cross?

          I shrugged the thought away and stood up hesitantly. I couldn’t put it off any longer.

          Dialing the number that’d been drilled into my head since I could remember, I leaned against the counter’s island and started chewing my nails. Such a bad habit, I should really stop it.

          I froze when the number started beeping. I closed my eyes, half-hoping she wouldn’t pick up. I didn’t even practice what I wanted to say. “Oh hi Clarisse, remember me? Of course you do. Well I was just kidnapped by some Devil’s worshippers- you know Devin followers, yeah he’s your enemy. Funny story actually, you see he told me you’re my guardian angel. All I’m wondering if that’s true.”

That could work.

          “Hello?” Clarisse answered. My heart leaped at the familiarity and my throat dried as I tried to think of a reply. What could I say? I hadn’t expected my reaction to that simple Hello would have me near wrecks.

          “Hi, it’s me.” I slapped myself on the forehead. Clarisse gets at least a dozen phone calls per day, as if she’d remember my voice. “Audrey, it’s Audrey.” I added quickly.