Chapter 35: It's All in the Words

Fenix's POV

I had to tell her about my son. I couldn't go on letting her believe that she was the cause of the baby's potential heart problem. There was so much I've wanted to tell her about my life, my wife, my son, Carver. I was afraid she'd react the way she'd done many times before, and run far from me. Thats what she did when she got surprised or scared, she ran from me. I couldn't afford to lose her now, not when I was so close.

She had come clean with me, told me everything she was hiding and I owed her the same. It certainly explained her unnatural attachment to runner-up, but that didn't mean I was happy about it. I could never claim that she had only ever had my seed growing inside of her and that stung a little. But who was I to judge when I had a child of my own. I had to tell her everything, starting with my boy.

"Jade I..." I hesitated, looking for strength to finish my confession. "I have a son... and he's very ill. He needs both of his parents together." I admitted sadly. If it wasn't for his illness and constant need for hospitalization, I'd have left Veronica years ago. This entire marriage was one huge mistake.

"Damn it!" She muttered softly. "This makes things complicated." She remarked with frustration and defeat. I wouldn't let her run this time. There was no way I was giving her up so easily.

"Hotness, there's so much I want to tell you, but you've got to understand that my son comes before everyone and everything. His welfare is most important to me, followed by yours." I stated, cupping her face in my hands and forcing her to see the truth in my eyes. I was tired of lying and wasn't going to be deceitful any longer, but first she needed to understand where my priorities lied.

"Okay, I understand that and I don't blame you for doing whatever is necessary for your son. I just wish things were different, less complicated, that's all. It would have been so much easier if we had met years ago, before everything got so messed up." Jade said woefully, but with thoughtfulness.

I could see that she meant every word from her heart, but still it was difficult for her to reconcile. I surprised her, threw her for a loop and for that I was truly regretful. She accepted my offering and held on gracefully, not panicking or running like I expected her to have done. She was strong, so much stronger than she showed people.

"Thank you for being so understanding." I muttered before softly pressing my lips to hers.

The kiss was light, subtle, not anything like the heavy overpowering lustful ones we normally shared. No, no it was different this time, because I was different. I wanted to show her respect and care, not just lust or passion. She needed to know she was more than a toy or a one night stand for pleasure's sake. The way I honestly felt about this strange girl, was unmistakeable.

I loved her and it was like a shot of lightning struck my heart the moment I saw her. It's like she was meant to be mine from that moment on. It seemed crazy at the time, all this love at first sight bullshit, but how could I deny that we grew up in the same town, went to the same school, only I graduated early so we never had the chance to meet.

"I'm sorry for not telling you about him sooner. Carver is such a great kid. He's so vibrant and full of life, even while laying in a hospital bed. He doesn't give up fighting. He reminds me a lot of you in that way. He endures it all quietly and still carries on." I remarked, a small smile coming to my face just thinking of him.

"How old is he? What's he like? Tell me everything." Jade asked exuberantly. I seriously didn't expect her to be so okay with this news about my son, but I guess she figured we'd be in each other's lives for a while, so she needed to get accustom to it.