Chapter 21: Surprise, Uneasiness and Uncertainty

**************************************

Recap chap 20:

Reluctantly, Rivers agreed to meet me in his office, so there I stood, nervously awaiting what could possibly be the most painful conversation I have ever had with Jackson Fenix Rivers.

************************************

Chapter 21: Surprise, Uneasiness and Uncertainty

Nervous was not the word to describe the way I felt standing in front of the father of my baby. He was sitting on the edge of his desk facing me, a stern yet curious look in his white-blue eyes. I shuffled my weight from foot to foot apprehensively. Why the hell did I want to see him again anyway? At the moment, I had no idea.

“Please, take a seat. You look a bit pale Jade.” Rivers commented and by the queasy feeling that attacked my stomach, I gathered that he was right. I sat down uneasily, wishing for death over this encounter.

“Before you say anything, I just wanted to apologize for my behavior the other day. It was out of line and entirely inappropriate.” He remarked and I was stunned. He was apologizing?  For what reason, it wasn’t necessary? Was he referring to the fight, the kiss, his wife or all three?

“Oh, um… it’s okay I guess. I was a little upset that day, so my emotions were a bit crazy. It’s just as much my fault as yours.” I replied vaguely, tearing my eyes away from his hypnotic stare. He took in my appearance, I saw him out of the corner of my eye. He looked me up and down with what seemed like a hungry gaze. I shook it out of my head. I didn’t need to complicate this any further with my wild imagination.

“I shouldn’t have kissed you or started a fight with you knowing how disturbed you were by what happened with Soren and Nash. I’m glad he’s better by the way. I know how much he means to you.” His voice was soft and compassionate, in a dead sexy way. ‘He doesn’t mean as much as you’, I wanted to add, but bit my bottom lip instead. If I had admitted it, it would have made things harder. I heard a low groan escape his lips and wondered what had prompted it.

“Please don’t do that hotness. You’re not helping things.” He announced in a tone that was almost pleading. His raspy groan sounded so primal that I felt myself tingle with desire. I continued to bite my lip for distraction’s sake. He groaned again, but I was unsure what he was talking about. By the war that was clearly raging behind his eyes, I had done something very wrong, I just didn’t know what.

“What did I do?” I asked uncertainly, fully unaware of why he seemed so torn. He had closed the distance between us and was leaning over me. I was incredibly uneasy with the sudden closeness of his body to mine. My heart fluttered and beat rapidly with just the stray thought that he was about to touch me, or kiss me or do anything that remotely resembled something meaningful or sexual.

“This…” He whispered softly in my ear, his fingertips lightly caressed my bottom lip that I was gnawing on furiously in my nervousness and anxiety. This action caused me to release my lip, which he continued stroking softly. A slow quiver had taken hold of my body, removing every last trace of uncertainty.

“It’s very sexy hotness… and it makes it incredibly hard for me to keep myself from doing this.” He announced huskily, before he captured my bottom lip in his mouth and began to suck on it slowly and gently.