Chapter 43: The Ties That Bind Unravel Quickly

Sorry for the wait. please enjoy, comment & vote! There are only about 2 chaps left...

**********************

WHID 43

Chapter 43: The Ties that Bind Unravel Quickly

It was the day of the transplant and the entire gang was waiting in the surgical waiting room while the doctors and nurses got Carver and Nash ready to undergo the hopefully life saving endeavor. Fenix and I sat nervously by the door, along with Mira and her twin April, Alec, and Randy the guard. They all showed up to give us moral support, which was greatly appreciated, while we waited as they prepped Carver and Nash for surgery. It seemed like forever until they came out to let us know that we could say good luck and goodbye to both Nash and our son before they headed into surgery. I was incredibly anxious, not just because this was an important operation for Carver, but also because my best friend put his welfare on the line for our son's sake.

Anything could happen from infection that could turn septic, or something going wrong during surgery, to rejection of the bone marrow. There was no way that I could feel one hundred percent relieved until both of my guys were out of surgery and healing properly. It was a gamble and we all hoped that it would pay off, but it was Nash and Carver who would pay the ultimate price in the event of failure. That thought was something that I couldn't stomach and it made my anxiety level rise higher as the minutes ticked away. Thankfully, I had so many friends and loved ones by my side to help encourage me through this ordeal, and Fenix was a key player in keeping my concerns at bay. I needed him now more than ever, and just having him by my side was comforting and soothing on an entirely intimate level. He was what kept me grounded and calm in times likes these highly stressful ones. It was his love and support that would help me get through any situation. I knew that to be true above anything else.

This day was incredibly difficult. In fact, it had been a pretty rough few weeks. It was nearly a month since Nash and I had discovered that we were Carver's parents and a week or so since the showdown with my mother, when I finally said goodbye to my parents. It was a long road to making peace with the truth that I was an unwanted political move, and an even longer road to being okay with forgiving my parents' decision and coming to terms with my choice to leave them in my past. As difficult as all of that was to deal with, I couldn't think of that now. My highest propriety was the boys and putting them in good spirits before the operation.

We were escorted two at a time into the pre-operative area to see them. Fenix and I went to see Carver while Alec and Mira visited Nash in the next curtained off area. Carver looked pale and vulnerable as I suspected he would, but entirely in good spirits which was a surprise considering that he was facing surgery. It hurt so badly to see him this way, but it was a necessary step in the process to getting him better and strong enough to come home. I sat next to him and held his hand while Fenix kissed his forehead lightly and ruffled his hair.

"Hey buddy, how are you feeling?" Fenix asked Carver in a calm and compassionate tone, though I saw the concern he held in his eyes.

"I'm tired daddy. I got sleepy medicine so I won't wake up when I go in the bright lights room." He said with a yawn, in a small voice that was soft and unafraid.

Carver didn't understand that this was a most important surgery, just that it was another type of treatment that was supposed to make him feel better. He had gone through the kids surgical program that gave children with impending operations a tour of the pre and post-op areas, as well as the surgical suites, in hopes that it would quell their apprehension of such a scary prospect. It seemed to have worked well for him because he was at ease. He had been through so much and was truly brave. I was very proud of him for fighting so hard for his life and always being so optimistic and happy, despite the hardships he had struggled through.