Chapter 5

I got home and my mum was again no where to be found. I hated this. Sometimes she would disappear for days on end. God only knows what up to. I chucked my bag on the floor and started to search the house for any money. There had to be some. I searched in the places she usually hides money for her alcohol. I found a few creased notes that would buy me some food. I couldn't take it any longer, the hunger was too much.

I went back out of the house and into my car. I drove to the nearest shop that sold food. I pulled into an empty parking space which was hard to find. I got out of the car and walked into the huge building. I went straight for the food section. I scanned the aisle and placed items in a basket that I had picked up.

I grabbed a pizza and put it into my basket and walked down the aisle until I banged into something hard and warm. I nearly lost my balance until I felt a pair of strong arms wrap around me to stop me from falling on the hard floor.

I heard a chuckle and then a male voice said, "You know we have to stop meeting like this." I looked up to be met by Mr Haner's smirking face.

"I'm sorry. It was my fault." I rambled awkwardly.

He laughed, "It's alright besides I'm glad I ran into you. Well maybe not literally." He placed his hand in his back pocket and pulled a crumpled up piece of paper out. That's when I noticed he wasn't in his smart clothing. He was wearing a tight black v-neck top that hugged his body showing off every muscle he possessed. He was wearing a pair of black skinny jeans that hung low on his hips. To finish he was wearing a leather jacket. The sleeves were rolled up and you could just see the beginning of his tattoos. "Have you finished looking?" He cockily spoke.

"I wasn't looking at anything that would be inappropriate." I told him back.

"Sure. I believe you. Anyway I'm glad that I have seen you because I wanted to give you this back." He said a he handed me the piece of paper that was in his hands.

I opened it up and saw that it was the ticket he tried to give me earlier. When would he get the message that it was inappropriate? I sighed and pushed the ticket back in his hand. "I thought I told you earlier that I can't accept that ticket. Don't you get it you're my teacher. You shouldn't be giving me a ticket to go and see a band."

He pushed the ticket back in my hand and said, "When will you learn that I don't want the ticket and that I want you to have it?"

"Well I don't want it." I replied.

"Look, take it and go without me. We won't even have to see each other there. You deserve to go out and have some fun. You work too hard." He pleaded.

"I can't-" I started to say.

"Sophie just accept the ticket and have some fun." He interrupted. He sent a smile my way which sent shivers through me. "So what you doing here?"

"The same as everybody else." I laughed as he asked a dumb question. He laughed back and quickly shoved the ticket into my jean pocket.

"I guess that was a stupid question. Have you finished getting what you wanted?" He questioned.

"Yeah. Why?" I asked back.

"Well I will walk you to the till." He told me. I couldn't help but blush as his stare was fixated on me. I couldn't get rid of the feeling that this was so wrong and weird. I really liked him. He seemed a nice person but I shouldn't be getting to know him like this.

We got to the till and he pulled out the contents of his basket and put them on the conveyor belt. He looked down at my basket and quickly grabbed the food out of it and placed it on the belt with his stuff. A smirk spread across his lips as he looked at my angry face.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Putting you food on the conveyor belt. What do you think I'm doing?" He asked. Hi voice dropping with sarcasm. Before I had time to respond he was getting his money out and paying the cashier what we owed. "And I'm paying."

"No! I have money. I'm not some charity case that you can have to pay for because you feel sorry for me." I angrily said.

"I don't think your a charity case. I just simply wanted to help you. Is that so wrong?" Mr Haner replied.

"No but why do you want to help me? You barely know me." I questioned.

"I don't know. I just feel like I should protect you." He said.

I didn't reply because I was so shocked. Why did he feel the need to protect me? It was weird but for some reason I liked him saying that. It made me feel like I had someone to rely on. He loaded the food into some bags and he wouldn't accept my money no matter how much I protested. He walked me to my car and helped me load my bags into my car boot.

"I guess I'll see you tomorrow then." He said.

"Yeah. Thanks again but I will find a way to pay you back." I laughed.

"No you won't." He said with the same smirk on his face he had been sporting all the time he had been with me.

I woke up the next morning. The house was quiet again and I rolled my eyes at my mums absence. My thoughts quickly jumped to Mr Haner. I then remembered that it was the night of the concert. I felt a sickness feeling fill the pit of my stomach. I was scared of going on my own but I was even more frightened to see him there. I really did like him and I knew it was wrong but for some reason it felt so right to be close to him.

I got out of bed quickly and jumped into the warm shower. Once that was done with I out and rushed putting my clothes on due to getting up late. I didn't want to be late for my class but I had a feeling I was going to be. I chucked my hair up into a messy bun and put little make up on to reduce the time I was spending getting ready.

I skipped breakfast and ran out of the house and into my car. I pulled out of the driveway and sped all the way to college. I looked at the time and I was five minutes late. I tried to remember what class I had and I knew it would be just my luck that I would have English with Mr Haner.

I pulled into the school car parking lot. I grabbed my schedule and my worst fears came true, my first lesson was English with Mr Haner. I gulped not knowing how he would react to me being late. I got out of my car and ran into the building before me.

I went straight to my locker to collect my books. That's when I saw Nicole stood next to my locker waiting for me.