Chapter 3

Bo Gum thinks that being quiet, thinking, is way more affective than communicating with others. Well, he used to. Everyone has their own thoughts, so if you put them together, all your thoughts together, you have a high chance of coming up with a solid conclusion. He knew this will be better, but he never talks.

He doesn't need to talk now anyway. He doesn't need silence, either.

He stares at the body of the man, as if somewhere inside of it, he sees his father's grin. And he glares at it.

"Bo Gum ssi?" Asks the team leader. He looks up to see the whole team staring at him. Actually, he already felt it, just didn't bother to look up. "Please, share your thoughts." Only the team leader has the guts to talk to this mysterious, silent guy. Although the other members of the team are older than him, they treat him like their sunbae.

"I've witnessed this before," Bo Gum tells Chang Wook, making his eyes widen, and the others do a double take.

"What? When? How?"

Police. No matter who they're dealing with, who they're facing, they still have the side of their job.

Bo Gum doesn't answer. So the others gets back to their conversation, leaving Bo Gum staring at his father's victim alone.

●●●

The next day, joins the second female police in their team. Last name, Kim. Name, Yoo Jung.

Bo Gum does a quick sweep of her.

Small, round face. Her lips are curved, it is almost a smile, but not quite. Her eyes looks active; they were sparkling. She's not very tall, not very short. A few centimeters under Bo Gum's shoulder. Her skin is pale. She's not sturdy. Her legs are thin, with barely any meat. She's in her early twentys', a young woman.

Definitely doesn't look like a "police" material. She's probably here because of her attitude or her unique brain.

Her first words are: "It's nice to be here." With a smile that is absolutely harmless. Bo Gum fixes his guess. She's here because of her attitude and he unique brain. He watches her survey the police station, that stress-free smile still on her face. After she's done, she starts to greet the members, all humble and outgoing.

Her eyes finally lands on Bo Gum.

He watches her whisper something to the team leader, and watches him whisper his answer. He knows they are talking about him. Yoo Jung makes it obvious. Way too obvious that makes Bo Gum positive she did this on purpose.

Then she walks towards him. She walks fast, not with big footsteps. Small, but quick-paced. He bows as a greeting, and she does too. "Bo Gum," he says flatly, and offers his hand. "Yoo Jung," she says back, and shakes it. As soon as she takes her eyes off their hands, she smiles even wider, then a glint in her eyes.

"As expected, you did not ask."

"Are you a mind-reader or a fortune teller?"

"Unexpected, a reply full of sarcasm."

One side of his lips curves up. That is his fun little goal. To suprise her.

"Why did you want to join the police team?"

Yoo Jung does a double take. Then she smiles in satisfaction. Expecting a long conversation, she goes to get two cups of coffee. When she gets back, she sits politely in the chair that Bo Gum had pulled out for her. Bo Gum figures out she's still a little self-conscious. She squirms in her seat as he stares at her.

"Please drink your coffee."

He obeys.

"Please answer my question."

"What, curious?" She quickly changes the tone of her voice when she sees his expression. "It's nothing special, really. You know how some people want to be special? Well, one of them is me. I want show a piece of my mind and hopefully catch some physcopaths."

"Hey hey hey," Chang Wook barks. "Not in the time for chit-chats, get to work!"

He is disappointed at her reason. He is disappointed because he didn't get to thoroughly scan her expressions. And that her simple reason is either fake or that she left out some sensitive details. He is curious, though. Bo Gum pushes his chair away from Yoo Jung, and towards his own table. Yoo Jung picks up her own chair and sets it next to Bo Gum, since her desk is by his, anyway.

"It's weird, now that I think of it." She states, "You don't seem to be super into these things. To be honest, you look so casual right now." She peeks over her shoulder to make sure all the members are focused on their work. "Am I wrong? I told you my story, how about you tell me yours?"

She even pokes him.

"My father was a criminal." He responds after a long time.

He wonders why he wanted to tell her the truth the second after she questions him. He tries searching for the best way to reply, or even away to wiggle out of her grasp. But he finds none. At these times, simple answers would be the best. His answer isn't exactly simple. It doesn't have the entire truth in it.

Was. Not is.