Chapter 16

"What do you mean?"

"You'll see, my boy. You'll see. Just don't trust that guy."

"A man who I don't trust is telling me to not to trust another guy." Bo Gum fakes a laugh, informing his dad how absurd he sounds. His dad remains still. His dark eyes stares gravely at his son. Bo Gum can't tell if he is being serious or merely acting.

Watching his son struggle to make up his mind, he finally says something. "If you don't believe me, then someone else can make you believe me."

Before Bo Gum can grasp the words his father says, a hand is tapping lightly on his shoulder. He quickly jerks his body away, meeting that someone's eyes. It's a woman. She looks a little older thanYoo Jung, she has short dark hair, ending right below her chin. Her eyes are big and her face is small. Her white teeth exposes as she grins at him.

She sticks out her hands, forcing Bo Gum to shake hands with her. "Bo Gum ssi, nice to meet ya, I'm Hyeri." Her grins grows wider. Her voice is clear and strong. Bo Gum's father grins at her, as if he's a proud father who just watched his daughter win in a race. Bo Gum stares as both of them exchange identical grins.

"Tell him, Hyeri ah, that this friend can't be trusted," He gestures to Woo Bin. She reacts quickly, nodding her head. "He betrayed me and your father for his own safety. He's a selfish bastard." Why does everyone know he's his father?

Hyeri taps his shoulder. "So what do ya think?"

"What were you doing in my trunk?" Bo Gum asks, ignoring her question. But Hyeri doesn't give up; she taps him again.

"What? I get that you guys don't trust him, okay, but why can't I trust him? Don't just tell me not to yet not give me a reason. And what do you guys want me to do? Shoot him then throw him out the car?"

Bo Gum expects a moment of silence. But the two replies in harmony: "sure."

What did Woo Bin do to them that even this out-going, all sunshine girl can hate him to the part where she wants him dead?

He is about to groan in frustration when Hyeri sing-songs "Wakey, wakey!" His eyes lands on Yoo Jung. She stirs a little, then her eyelids flutters open. She sees Hyeri first, because she's hovering on top of her, flashing her a smile. Still half-asleep, Yoo Jung blinks a few times, getting rid of her blurry vision. Confusion is written all over her face as she stares at Hyeri. She blinks again. Then her eyes flickers to Bo Gum.

All the confusion, terror drains from her face as she meets his eyes. Relief floods through her. She is glad that he's here. That he's here when she opens her eyes. That he gives her warmth and strength and bravness. Bo Gum catches the movement of her lips curling upwards into a serene simle.

But it didn't last long. Her eyes settles on Woo Bin.

Once again, fear settles in her eyes. Hyeri stops hovering on top of her to let her sit up. Yoo Jung wipes the blood on Woo Bin's face with her finger, stares at it. Her face is pale. She checks his pulse. Then she pauses, and looks up. Right at Bo Gum's dad. Her face is blank as she exchange stares with him.

"Ahjussi, why'd you harm him? Why'd you harm me? Why'd you harm us?"

Her voice is small but steady, yet still hiding some fear.

Her father is looking at Bo Gum, chuckling. "Cute one here."

"You too, unnie, who are you? Why are you here?" She turns from Hyeri to Bo Gum. "Who are these people? Why do I feel like I'm the only one outside of everything and always in the dark?"

Bo Gum wants to tell her that he too, is innocent, oblivious of what's going on. He wants to hug her, tell her it'll be alright. But he doesn't know where to start, what to do. How to convince her to trust him. How to even convince himself. The words can't even get past his throat, he can't even utter a single word, just helplessly looking at her betrayed, stricken face.

Then they hear a low grunt. Woo Bin is awake. He struggles to sit up, his hand grasping his right leg.

Then he smiles at them.