Chapter 26: Rookie Mistake

Chapter 26

Timmy wasn't having it. After yesterday's near miss, he'd come prepared to put up a fight and fight he did. The kid tried every tactic in the book to prevent us from leaving; most of them had been directed at me because we both knew Jason was a pro. Jason glanced at me briefly when Timmy reached for me, but I held my ground; remembering his warning that morning at breakfast.

I watched as he lowered himself to the floor in the classroom and sat Timmy down in front of him. He pulled out the watch he'd bought for Timmy earlier and fastened it around his son's wrist. For a moment Timmy looked at it-- fascinated by the superheroes on its face, but just as quickly, he lost interest and began to fuss. He knew we were going to leave him and his window of opportunity was quickly closing.

"Timmy." Jason said gently and much to my astonishment the kid fell silent and watched Jason. I didn't know why moments like these even bothered to surprise me anymore when it was clear to all that Jason was the baby whisperer. "Me and Michael have to leave for a little bit okay?"

Timmy shook his head vigorously. "No, no leave Timmy."

"It's only gonna be for a little while I promise. Look at your watch." he pointed to Timmy's wrist and the kid looked down. "When this makes a very special noise it means daddy and Michael are coming to get you." he said, then set a quick alarm so Timmy could hear it. "So when you hear that sound it means we're gonna come and take you home with us okay?"

He reset it for a later time and even though it seemed as though Timmy understood, he wasn't convinced. "Remember when we used to live at the other house?"

Timmy shook his head. "Of course you remember. I used to give you your own flashlight remember and there was a lot of flowers outside and you used to pick them and it made you itchy. Remember that?"

"An Timmy haf scwatch." he said, demonstrating just how he used to scratch his itchy hand. Jason nodded.

"Remember daddy had to leave you alone sometimes?"

Timmy nodded with a deep frown.

"And remember what I always used to tell you?"

"Daddy come back."

Jason grinned. "Exactly and daddy always came back for you right?"

The kid nodded, but he didn't look too happy about it. "Well me and Michael have to go to work now and you get to stay here and play with all your new friends." Jason pointed to a few of them. "See? they all want to play with you. So you get to play here all day and when your watch makes that extra special sound, it means daddy and Michael are coming to get you. Okay?"

Timmy nodded reluctantly, but I noted his fingers were still wrapped tightly around Jason's hand.

"Come on." Jason stood and Timmy latched onto his hand and followed him over to one of the many toy containers in the room. I watched as he picked out a few Timmy would like, but while he stared at the toys with obvious fascination, he stubbornly refused to accept them until Jason sat him down at a table and placed them before him.

He reached out hesitantly to pick up the fire truck and I watched with interest as the little boy who I had spotted sitting alone the morning before, walked over. He slid into the seat across from Timmy; undisturbed by the fact that two adults hovered. He picked up the stuffed bear from the table and secured it under his arm.

"I haf bunny." Timmy told him and the boy sat up straighter, looking at Timmy with narrowed eyes.

"No."

Timmy's eyes widened and he looked at Jason. "Daddy baby say I no have bunny."

I chuckled under my breath.