Chapter 25: All bets are off

Chapter 25

~Michael~

"He's gonna cry."

"I know."

"You're gonna have to let it happen. You can't give in like you always do."

"I know."

"You gotta make sure Michael 'cause I won't be there to help you."

I grinned at him. "You worry too much Jace. I can handle it."

Jason shook his head. "You always let Timmy take advantage of you and he's gonna do it again today."

I glanced at Timmy, who, up until he'd heard his name, had been fully focused on his bowl of cereal. Now he looked up at me and Jason; intrigued.

"Every kid cries on their first day of school. I can handle him crying today because I know that the more he goes, the more it'll become normal for him."

Jason looked skeptical. "You don't think straight when it comes to him."

I frowned. "That's not true." But Jason rolled his eyes.

"Maybe I should just come with you. I can be late for work just this one time." he said as he stood and stretched across the table to pick up my plate.

"It will be fine Jace. I'll go, I'll leave him with the teacher, he'll cry, I'll give him a hug and leave. Simple."

He watched me with raised brows; the skepticism rolling off him in waves. I shook my head and turned to Timmy. "Are you finished now?"

He looked down at his bowl and frowned. "No Micha. See?" he tipped the bowl in my direction so I could see that he had more milk and as expected, he tipped it too far and it spilled all over the newly washed table cloth.

I sighed and Jason grumbled under his breath as he went around the counter to deposit our plates in the sink and grab a dry dish rag. I was seriously considering just doing away with table cloths completely until Timmy at least turned ten. My mother would be scandalized.

I stood. "Okay little man, go put your shoes on." I told him and when he slid down from the chair and ran into the family room, I stood and helped Jason clear the table.

When he looked toward to family room he frowned. "He don't like being left alone and now we're gonna leave him with a bunch of people he aint never even seen before."

I nodded. "We all had to go through it. It'll be fine."

"What if the other kids are mean to him?" he asked worriedly. I smiled.

"He'll be fine Jace. Timmy's a tough kid."

He shook his head. "Not really. He aint used to all of this. It might be too much for him. I feel... I feel nervous."

"Mom said she felt the same way when she dropped me off at school my first day and she felt the same way with my sister. It's completely normal. I'll send you a picture of him when I drop him off."

He thought about it for a moment. "Okay."

"Micha I no no Timmy shoes!" the kid called out from the other room. Jason gestured for me to leave the clearing up to him and I went to help the boy in question.

....................................

The morning ride was unusually quiet. Even Timmy, who was usually talking a mile of gibberish per minute or singing along to the songs on his favorite kid's radio station was sitting quietly in his car seat.