Chapter 21: And I grinned like a Jackass

Chapter 21

He'd woken up grumpy and far less talkative than he had been the night before, and while he'd seemed to remember the events leading up to his meet up with Ronny and the others, he'd failed to mention anything that had happened after I'd taken him home. I'd of course already accepted the fact that he might not remember much, but the need to talk about what he'd confessed was practically eating away at me.

I glanced at him now as he huddled in the passenger seat beside me, a baseball cap shading his face from the glare of the afternoon sun, my sunglasses covering his eyes, head resting against the door and a large thermos of coffee clutched in his fist. After three failed attempts at normal conversation, I'd finally decided to leave him to the misery that was his hangover and drive in silence.

We were on our way to the Bureau, where he'd agreed to go in for a quick interview to relay the events of the previous night to our team. After that, we planned on picking Timmy up from my parents, where, according to my mother, he'd been having the time of his life despite his cold.

By the time we pulled into the Bureau's parking lot, he'd finished the coffee and was as ready as I supposed he could ever be, with the effects of an alcohol-filled night raging inside him.

Simon and Eddie ushered him off to the interrogation room the moment we entered, and I made a beeline for my dad's office, noting on the way however, a toy strewn here and there. Desks that were usually cluttered with paperwork and boring office things had a few additional colorful decorations. I noted the crayon marks on the wall opposite the watercooler and one very familiar bunny rabbit lying on the floor beside the photocopier.

I glanced across the room at the rows of desks in the large space and shook my head. Interesting how I had never been allowed to spend the day at the Bureau with my dad when I was growing up, yet now the place was filled with clear evidence that hurricane Timmy had swept through.

I paused at his office door, which was half open and saw the two sitting around his desk. Dad had Timmy in his lap while they played with little green toy soldiers which I surmised came from the toy store down the street.

"So now that you've got a feel for everything," my dad was telling him "Which team would be the best team to send out to infiltrate the warehouse?"

I noticed then that the toy soldiers were clumped together in groups which stood on a chart covering the entire desk. On that chart dad had drawn something that I couldn't make out from where I stood, but they looked to be roads and buildings and other foreign markings.

I watched as Timmy reached over and picked up a soldier from the group that stood in the center of the chart and my dad's face was alight with pride.

"That's it!" he exclaimed, patting Timmy's head. "Half the class at Quantico fails this test every year and you got it right off the bat." He continued, oblivious to the fact that Timmy was more interested in playing with the soldiers than he was in a thing he was saying.

Dad looked at him and frowned. "If only you were a few years older. I could make you head of your own task force in no time." he said, looking at Timmy with real regret.

"At least wait until he's out of kindergarten before you start recruiting him dad." I said, stepping inside. The chief looked up and Timmy slid off his lap and came running over. I scooped him up as he began babbling about his new toy.

"The kid's a genius."

"He picked the team at random dad."

"You mark my words son. That kid's going places." And I nodded. Yes he was.