Chapter 23: Domestic

Chapter 23

~Jason~

The clock above the TV in our bedroom said it was already past ten in the morning and Michael and Timmy were still in bed. I watched them from the doorway feeling all kinds of feelings I didn't want to feel.

Timmy had gotten a bad dream the night before, so Michael had stayed up with him for a couple hours, then brought him to bed with us when he'd finally calmed down. Now Michael was fast asleep and Timmy was lying buck naked on his stomach, and watching me with those big doe eyes while he sucked his fingers.

Spoiled. That's what he was. Michael had gone and spoiled him. I'd thought about crawling right back in with them about a thousand times already, but I figured I better get busy. It was finally the weekend, which meant no work, so I wanted to get as much done as I could while I had the chance.

Breakfast was already done and waiting and the coffee was sitting on the counter getting cold. I'd also thought of maybe bringing them breakfast in bed, but changed my mind. Who knew how it would look to Michael; me acting like some housewife.

I shook my head. Ridiculous.

Timmy took his fingers out of his mouth for a second and waved. I waved back.

"You wanna come help me downstairs?" I whispered, and he shook his head.

'Course he didn't; he had his nice, comfortable spot lying down on Michael; as if the guy was a big teddy bear.

He was a pretty decent guy, that Michael; taking care of my kid like he was his own. Treating us like family. It was damn decent of him. Just like that time so long ago when he went and helped me out for no damn reason; just a guy on the street and he took the time to help me of all people.

It was no wonder I went and got my mind fucked up over him. Aint nobody could see somebody like that and not feel something. Michael was just too handsome for his own good. I saw how people looked at him when we went anywhere; drooling over him like he was something to eat.

I sighed.

Michael just couldn't help that he went and got born with a body like his and a face like that; some people were just lucky. Didn't make sense that he was interested in me—not when so many good looking people were out there who had so much more to offer, but here I was. He was in love with my son and he said he was in love with me too.

I felt the usual pain in my chest just thinking about it. I loved him for so long now, I should be happy that there was even a possibility that maybe he really felt the same way, but it only made me miserable. I could imagine waking up to him for the rest of my life though. I could see it and I wanted it. I wanted it bad, but good things like that only happened for other kinds of people; not people like me and Timmy.

One day he was gonna get tired of having to see us all the time, and we were gonna have to move on.

I blinked away the tears and cursed under my breath; standing here acting like some girl. Pathetic.

I turned away. I got things to do today, so I might as well get to them.

Michael said we were going to paint Timmy's room today, so I fingered I might as well get it ready. I'd have to get something to spread over the carpet and I'd have to get something to cover all the furniture. Yesterday he'd said something about some tarpaulin being in the storage room outside, and he'd put the paint cans in the laundry room downstairs.

The paint rollers and brushes were probably in the storage room too.

When I got all the materials we would need, I brought them back to Timmy's room and started moving all the furniture to the middle of the space. When that was done, I covered everything with the tarp, then lay some old newspapers along the walls.