Chapter 27: Anthony Thames

Chapter 27

They were officially calling it a search and rescue but I had no doubt that in their minds it had long ago graduated to a search and recovery. After all, the first forty-eight hours were crucial and we had passed that mark a while back. We had all watched as the bullet pierced him, we had seen him go down and looked on helplessly as Ronnie had dragged him away. We had all stepped past the pool of blood he had left behind on the stark white tiles, but I was the only one who refused to believe he was dead.

My dad was only humoring me with the continued search. He didn't really believe there would be a favorable outcome. I saw the truth in his eyes every time he looked at me; pity. Soon, even his influence would run out and the searching agents would be pulled back to their desks to focus on more pressing matters.

I watched Eddie and Simon as they stood in my kitchen, voices low and faces intense as they carried on their private discussion. Every now and then one of them would glance back at me and shake his head. I knew what they thought; that there was no way he had survived after losing so much blood and even if he had, there was no way that Ronnie had cared enough to do something about it. They had given up like all the rest.

After the incident we had alerted every hospital for miles and waited with bated breath for a report of a gunshot victim matching Jason's description coming into the ER for treatment. We had blocked roads and visited the doors of annoyed civilians who were more concerned about their privacy than they were about the fate of the only man I had ever loved.

We'd manned the phones in hopes that someone, somewhere, would have seen something. We'd staked out Timmy's school...just in case, and I had even gone against my father's advice and set up a reward for any information on the whereabouts of Jason and Ronnie; to no avail.

I had watched every night as the news reporters spit out story after story about Jason's abduction and ridiculed the Bureau for allowing an amateur to escape from a building crawling with trained agents and snatching an innocent civilian in the process. I agreed with them; it shouldn't have happened.

I'd played out different scenarios in my head about the very many ways we could have prevented it but the only thing that did was add to my guilt and give me a headache,

There was a mole in the FBI. No, moles.

Of course I knew there was always the possibility of a dirty agent in Bureau, it would be naïve to think otherwise, but to witness the corruption first hand and to see the path of destruction it had carved, wasn't something I had ever wanted to experience.

I closed my eyes against the blinding pain of the migraine that had become a constant companion in the two weeks since I'd watched helplessly as Jason was ripped from my life. Every time I closed my eyes I saw the blood of the floor. The worst part was remembering the fear in his eyes as that bastard held the gun to his head. He'd expected me to save him.

I glanced down at his son; who was stretched out on the couch fast asleep with his head in my lap. He'd cried for his father almost every night since his first day of school. I kept telling him that Daddy had gone on a trip; that he would be back soon.

I didn't think he believed me.

My hand shook as I ran it over my face. I couldn't even remember if I had eaten that day. I felt like I was slowly losing my mind. I couldn't even remember the last words I'd said to him. The tears gathered and I fought hard not to let them fall.

"Fuck." I whispered into the silent room.

"Let me take him to bed." I looked up at the sound of Eddie's voice. I hadn't even heard him move. When I nodded silently, he bent to pick up the sleeping Timmy and held him securely in his arms.