Chapter 30: Mission-Find Jason

Chapter 30

~Michael~

Eddie's kitchen was our base of operations for the next few hours. He had cleared off his massive kitchen counter and now it was a mess of computers, wires and a shitload of other tech gear that I wasn't tech savvy enough to know about.

He sat around the devices with Simon, who, luckily, had already been there when I had called to let him know I would be coming over. It was 3:25a.m. and only the five people I trusted enough to inform about Jason's call were standing in the room; Simon and Eddie, Nate and John, and of course, my father, the Chief.

"And you said you couldn't hear any sound in the background? Anything at all?" Simon was asking as he fiddled with his fancy computer.

I shook my head. "Nothing."

I'd thought about calling him back a million times in the last twenty-five minutes, but I was struck with terror when I thought about the many different ways in which a phone call would compromise him; like if he was hiding from his kidnappers, and the ringing cell phone announced his location to them. And that was just one of the very many possibilities that had burrowed its way into my head.

Everyone had agreed that a call could be risky.

"Got it!"

My head snapped up at Simon's words, and all of us converged around him. In the short time we had been in Eddie's kitchen, we had already learned that Jason's phone call was made from within state lines, and we had been painstakingly narrowing down the search for the exact coordinates.

My heart was doing jumping jacks in my chest as I waited anxiously for his next words.

"Grennel Wood." "Simon said. "That's where the phone is."

"What the fuck's in Grennel Wood?" Eddie questioned with a frown.

"Language." The chief, Nate and Simon, said in unison. Eddie glanced at Timmy, who was in my father's arms, sucking on his two favorite fingers, and watching us all with interest.

"Sorry." He said, and I shook my head, moving to stand behind Simon, so I could see whatever it was that he was looking at on his screen.

"I'm narrowing it down." He said, and I watched as he manipulated what looked to be Google Maps, and zoomed all the way in, until we were looking at a picture of the middle of nowhere. He slid the cursor across the screen, navigating the greenery, until he we saw the roof of a large building.

"Looks like some kind of abandoned warehouse."

"There are vehicles outside; three." Simon announced to the room.

Is that the only building in the area. Look carefully." Nate, who had also come to stand behind Simon, said.

We watched as he searched every inch of the area, the aerial view providing the perfect opportunity to scan the place without issue.

"Nothing. Just some power lines a few miles away." Simon said, then scrolled back to the warehouse. He pointed to the screen "The path here looks pretty well used."

"He could be in there." I said, more to myself that the others.

"We need to come up with a plan of action." The Chief said. "The five of us barging in there isn't a good idea. We have no idea how many people are involved in this and whether or not they have weapons. We need a team."

"We have moles in the Bureau. We can't take the chance of putting together a team using our guys." I said.

"And we can't alert any other agencies because we don't know how far the kidnappers' reach goes."