Chapter 5: Breakfast hits and misses

Chapter 5

It was hours later, when the mess of the day had been cleared away and taxes completed that I finally ventured upstairs. I glanced down the hall to the left, and paused when I spotted the light under the door of the guest room. I’d decided to broach the all-important conversation with him in the morning, but maybe there really was no time like the present, so I headed in that direction.

 I paused after the first knock, then waited awhile longer after the second, but no sound issued from inside the room. I stood listening for even the slightest clamor issuing from the other side, but all was still, so I pushed the door open carefully and went in, planning to turn out the lights but someone was very much awake.

From where he sat on the floor against the wall not far away, Jason looked up at me. In his arms he held a sleeping Timmy, and beside him lay the ratty stuffed bunny he loved so much. I couldn’t help the smile that crept up at the sight, but when I met Jason’s gaze it all but fell. He was still angry, that was clear from his very expression, but it was his eyes that really gave me pause.

They were red and swollen as though he’d been rubbing them all night and the shade of his nose was no different. Here sat a man who looked beaten and worn, as though he had been through too much and couldn’t bear even one more hint of a struggle, and I wondered if maybe he had reached his limit. After all he’d been through I wouldn’t be surprised. My guilt grew.

I stepped further into the room and his eyes followed me. I detected in them; anger, but there was also uncertainty and a hint of fear. I moved to sit on the edge of the bed across from him.

“I don’t know how else to help you.”

Silence.

For a moment I watched him as he watched me and when he offered not a peep, I stood, stuffing my hands into the pockets of my jeans.

“I’m serious about you and Timmy staying here. You can take this room, you won’t have to pay rent and I’ll provide the food. The second you sort yourself out you’re free to leave with your son and you’ll never have to see my face again.”

The silence remained unbroken.

“I told you before that I’m on leave from work for a while so I don’t mind watching him while you work in the day.”

“I aint leaving my kid with you.” He spat and I gritted my teeth against an equally angry retort.

But he’d leave his kid alone at night in a condemned building.

“I’m not the bad guy here Jason—”

“Aren’t you?” he hissed. “You want to take my baby from me for no good reason!”

I raised a brow. “No good reason?” I asked softly and he only gritted his teeth and looked away. I took a breath.

“Let’s get one thing straight. I’m offering you the opportunity to do right by him. I’m opening up my home to you and Timmy instead of doing my duty and reporting you. I’m not trying to break up a family here, I’m doing everything I can…what more do you want?”

When he looked at me I this time, it wasn’t with a glare. It was with tired eyes and a worn out expression. “I just want to be with Timmy...he gotta stay with me. We’re all we got and I’m tryin harder than anybody so he can be happy.”

“I know you are—”

“Then let us go.”

I shook my head. “It’s your choice what happens with your kid Jason. You really want to be with him, then feel free to stay here. If you really want to leave, then prepare to visit him in another home because there’s not much else I can do.”