Chapter 14: Meet my mother

Chapter 14

I was running late...again.

I maneuvered the car around another bend and overtook the truck ahead that was going about three miles per hour. In the backseat, my phone was vibrating nonstop and I didn't have to guess who was calling. My mother had a thing about punctuality and I could just picture her standing in her apron by the kitchen sink, waiting for me to pick up so she could give me hell for the delay.

I let it ring.

I'd had a string of meetings this morning, each of them having taken much longer than I'd anticipated, but they'd gone well and I could honestly say I'd made progress. Maybe cold lunch and a scolding from the mother would be worth it. When I turned down the street of my neighborhood, I felt a smile blossoming on my face of its own accord and as had been happening all day, Jason, and the night we'd had came to mind.

To say it hadn't been better than I'd expected would be an understatement. He'd been as perfect as anyone could hope a lover would be and seeing him this morning—wide eyed and staring at me in the bedroom mirror, with that ever-present blush on his face and the marks I'd left on his body, had made my whole day. That, and waking up to Timmy sitting contentedly in the center of my back, humming a strange tune.

This was my life now. It was hard to believe it, but waking up to the two people who meant everything to me, being able to provide for them, put a smile on their faces and being the one person they could rely on, was a feeling like nothing else.

Yes, this was my life now. Falling asleep next to the man I loved and waking up to him stretched out beside me...it was indescribable.

I pulled into the driveway of our place and the first thing I saw was Timmy at the window, his palms and forehead pressed to the glass. I waved when he looked my way and was rewarded with a wide, dimpled grin. This is how it should always feel coming home— like a healthy breath of fresh air.

I closed the door behind me when I stepped out of the car and jogged up to the front door, which was pulled open before I could insert the key.

"Micha." Timmy stood there, holding the door open, his face lit with a grin.

I bent and picked him up. "What's up you?" and pulled gently on his curls. "Where's daddy?"

When he pointed to the staircase, I frowned. I'd need to reposition the lock on the door so it would be out of his reach. We couldn't have him opening doors the moment we let him out of our sight.

"You don't open doors by yourself okay?"

Rather than answer, his hands went immediately to my hair and before I'd even made it to the foot of the stairs, he was pulling on the strands.

"Jason?" I called, taking them two at a time and I heard his muffled reply from the direction of his room.

"You ready?" I stuck my head around the open door way. He glanced up at me from where he sat on the edge of his bed, pulling on his shoes.

"Yeah, just gimme a sec." I straightened in the room, watching him tie his laces. "I was wondering if you were still gonna come."

"Yeah the meetings took longer than I expected, but mom will keep the food warm." I glanced at Timmy. "You hungry babe?"

"No." was his quick, yet distracted reply.

"I gave him something already." Jason said, looking guiltily up at me. "Do you think your mom will mind?"

"You worry too much." I told him with a grin, then set Timmy down.

"No Micha, up!" He latched on to my arm before I could straighten up.