Chapter 9: My little Picasso

Chapter 9

I didn’t know whether it was the sight of the mark or the fact that Timmy had proceeded to pull on my hair that made me wince, but regardless of the reason, it hurt to see it. I turned away from the sight of him and smiled up at Timmy who was apparently playing hairdresser as he ran his small fingers through my strands.

“What do you wanna eat big guy?” I asked him, the cheerful lilt of my voice was of course forced.

“Maancheese?”

“Here babe.” I didn’t turn around when Jason handed the bunny to Timmy, instead I went to the cupboard where the mac and cheese was stored and pulled open the doors in search of Timmy’s breakfast.

“Looks like we’re out. What about pancakes?” I asked him and as expected he frowned down at me.

“No? Ah…” I opened another cupboard, then another and finally went to the fridge.

“How about waffles?”

“No.”

“But you like waffles.” I reasoned with him but he shook his head and perched bunny on mine.

He was always fussy when it came to food, even more so now that we had him trying different things. I figured now would be good time to make a quick run to the grocery store. God knows I had no idea how I’d managed to forget the mac and cheese last night.

“I hope you aint planning on going out to get him anything. Timmy will eat what’s here.” Jason read my mind and for the life of me, I couldn’t look at him.

To think I’d spent the night worrying about him visiting some long lost lover...it was as though I’d wished it into being.

 “It’s not a problem, I’ll just run out and get it.”

“Micheal you don’t gotta—”

“It’s a quick run to the store Jason, it’s not gonna kill me.” I snapped at him and when I finally turned around, his expression mirrored surprise.

My eyes immediately went to his neck and I looked at Timmy before I could glimpse the mark again.

I walked past him and picked up my keys from the side table.

“We’ll be back soon.”

“You’re taking Timmy with you?”

I turned to him. “Yes, is that a problem?”

He shook his head slowly, looking shy and uncomfortable with his arms folded before him and I felt a twinge of guilt for making him feel that way.

I softened my tone. “You need anything?”

He shook his head and when Timmy waved goodbye to daddy, we were out the door.

………………………

I walked through the aisle pushing a shopping cart despite the fact that I’d gone grocery shopping the night before and unlike last night, the store was practically empty. Before me, Timmy sat in the cart seat eating the banana he’d pretty much begged me to pick up a moment before, while humming an unfamiliar tune.

I reached up to take a bit of lint from his hair, before reaching over to pluck a 12-pack macaroni and cheese from the shelf. Timmy watched it until it was safely deposited into the cart behind him and I grinned despite my mood. Mac and cheese was his great sin.

“Alright, I think we’re done here, what’d do you think buddy?”

“Icee.”

“Oh yeah the cones!” I spun the cart around and made my way to the aisle that held his favorite cones. I could just imagine his displeasure later tonight when he’d once again be expected to eat his ice-cream from a bowl.