Chapter 31: Let's go home

Chapter 31

There was something surreal about walking hand in hand with Jason up my parents' driveway. After all the time we had spent apart, I couldn't get enough of him. It was as though I had to be touching some part of him at all times in order to believe he was really there. All through the ride over with the guys, I'd kept my arms wrapped around his waist as he'd sat in my lap.

Every so often, I would find myself seeking out his lips and he would do the same. The fact that he was so open about these displays of affection, which went completely against his character, was testament of the fact that the whole ordeal had been traumatic.

Now came the healing, and I would do everything possible to ensure he got past this. As we walked, I turned my face up to the sky for a moment and said a silent thank you to whoever was listening. Thank you for bringing him back to me.

Suddenly, the sun, which was barely peaking through the clouds, felt warmer, and the slight breeze ruffling the hair at the nape of my neck, was the perfect temperature. Suddenly, everything felt right with the world, and when father and son finally reunited, everything would fall into place and I would never let our peace shatter again.

My dad pulled the door open before I could lift a hand to knock. He gave me a nod in acknowledgment and looked me over in that silent contemplative way he always did after every assignment. When he was satisfied that I'd returned in one piece, he looked at Jason and did the same. Though Jason, who's eyes were roaming the living room in search of his son, didn't notice a thing.

When my dad held out a hand toward him, he glanced down in confusion for a moment, then finally, pulled his good hand from mine and shook it.

"Welcome back son." My father greeted and Jason nodded quickly.

"Thank you sir. Where's Timmy?"

"He's in the kitchen having his breakfast. I didn't tell him you were on your way back. I figured it would be the best surprise."

Jason nodded, and as he moved away from us, I patted my dad's shoulder and followed.

Just like dad said, Timmy was sitting around the kitchen table, humming as he ate his cereal. I watched as he swung his legs back and forth; ever fidgeting. It had been a long time since I'd seen him eating breakfast fully clothed, but then, when my mom spoke, Timmy listened.

"Hi Timmy." Jason called quietly. Timmy's head snapped up instantly, and those tiny pajama-clad legs froze mid swing. "Hey babe." Jason said with a wide smile.

When Timmy's eyes landed on his face, I could see the exact moment when it registered to him that the man who was standing there was his father. His beautiful eyes widened and his mouth opened in the widest grin his face could muster. I felt all the happiness in me bubble to the surface, when he dropped his spoon and climbed quickly down from the chair; almost falling on his face in the process.

"Daddy!" Timmy's little voice was loud with excitement and disbelief as he squealed and ran as quickly as his short legs could take him, right into his father's open arms.

Jason, who had crouched on the floor to receive him, wrapped his arms tightly around him, and I watched as Timmy pressed his head into Jason's neck.

"I missed you so much babe." Jason whispered to him with a shaking voice. A moment later, I could hear his quiet breaths as the tears rolled down his face. "I missed you so much."

My dad, who had also been watching the heartfelt reunion, melted silently out of the room. As I watched them, clinging to each other as though their lives depended on it, I acknowledged for about the millionth time, just how much I loved them both, but it was more than that.