All I Had Left

"Slow down there" Ghoul chuckles as i all but shovel the food down my throat, but i don't listen. Party's just come outside, his hair all but glowing the dim evening light as he walks towards the fire, looking undeniably good.

I don't want to have to engage in conversation with him though, so i'm making a mad dash to finish my food so i can make up some excuse to go get in the car already. I just want us all to get to The Battery so i can keep my distance from him. Tomorrow i can hopefully go get my bike back, and then this saga will be over.

Who am i kidding? How is this going to be over just because i'll be able to go home? I'm hardly going to be able to just forget about the guys, especially him, and i'll no doubt run into them even if i did try avoiding them. Look how good that plan turned out last time - i ended up running away from a detonating building and putting my life in their hands. Not so much 'keeping my distance' and more like running straight to them.

I can't change the past now though. Our lives have crossed, for better or for worse, and i'm going to have to deal with that as best as i can. I wish for the millionth time that Korse was dead and we could all live in peace, away from the threat of being killed every day just for standing up for what's right and not allowing ourselves to be brainwashed. Maybe then i could actually make an effort to get to know Party, maybe even return his flirty gestures. But no, i'm stuck in this mess of a world with dracs around every corner.

And yet none of that can seem to put me off wanting to get closer to him. What the hell is wrong with me? Or more importantly, what's so special about him that he gets into my mind when nobody else does?

"Done" I declare, setting down my empty can and jumping to my feet "Are you all ready to go or what?"

"Just finishing" Party says from the fire where he's almost done with his own can "you guys go ahead and get in the trans am, i'll be there in a sec."

"Fine, but i'm calling shotgun" i decide, knowing that Kobra has already been nominated to drive us there and back. I feel bad as i know he won't be able to drink, but then if it's his turn i'm not exactly going to offer to swap. I need a good few drinks after all that i've been through in these last few days. The fighting and the explosions are all things i'm use to, but not all the emotions. Now they're completely new.

I'm reasonably quiet in the car on the way there. I'm not cold though - i laugh at Jet and Ghoul's banter and when Kobra asks me what drink i think will give him the least hangover I eagerly dish out my advice.

Luckily Party is busy entertaining himself by flipping his gun on and off safety, not really paying much attention to what everyone else is saying. The annoying part is that a piece of me wants him to put down the gun and talk to me properly, although I try not to think too much about it.

I jump out the car the moment we arrive, and i'm the first down the spiral stairs. The place is pretty busy tonight, and i quickly spot Crash and another killjoy working hard behind the bar to dish out everyone's drinks. That's probably why they don't see me approach until i'm right up at the bar, the four killjoys standing around me.

"Spark!" Crash grins, quickly handing someone their drink before coming closer to our end of the bar "I was starting to worry about you! You've been awol for a couple of days now, and nobody seemed to have spotted you."

"You don't need to worry about me" i roll my eyes "I thought we'd already been over that?"

"I'm allowed to worry about you" he frowns before turning to the other killjoys "I see you made some friends then?"

"I guess you could say that" i have to resist rolling my eyes "These guys crashed my missing and to cut a long story short we ended up leaving my bike back in the city, so i'm stuck with them until they help me go get it back."