I'll Tell You Mine If You Tell Me Yours

When we get outside i notice that Cyanide hasn't come back, meaning she isn't giving us a life back to the four's base. I'm a little disappointed, as i was warming to her before, something i rarely do to people these days. 

"Who's giving us a lift back then?" I frown as Party walks right up to the gates and then smoothly slips through them, holding them open behind him so i can do the same. 

"Ghoul said he would come and pick us up once he'd got fuel. I think he wanted to come this way to see if he could catch Cyanide whilst he was at it" Party chuckled, taking a seat on the desert floor before patting the space next to him. "You might aswell sit down you know, i don't know exactly how long he'll be yet." 

"Fine" I drop down to the ground, pulling up my knees so i can rest my arms over them as we wait. "Although i don't see why we couldn't have just waited for the car to be fixed. Then we could've just driven here ourselves." 

"Dr Death's a busy guy, he wanted to see us this morning whilst he knew he would definitely still be here. He moves around a lot to avoid detection and make sure that no one can get a clear location on his transmissions. By this afternoon he'll be in a new top secret location, especially as you stopped by this morning." 

"What do you mean, especially as i stopped by" i narrow my eyes at him "doesn't he think i'm trustworthy after i saved you the other day? Because if i was working for anyone i could've very easily let his favourite killjoy get ghosted." 

"Oh he knows that, we all do. That's why you were allowed to see him. He'd never normally let anyone who wasn't sworn to the killjoys come anywhere near here. I think you're the first actually. He was dying to meet you, you see, so he couldn't quite resist when i offered to bring you along too. He's a bit of a collector is Dr D." Party chuckles at the last part, obviously indulging in a private joke i don't understand. 

"What do you mean?" 

"He likes to collect people. Well, killjoys. It's how our ranks always do so well. He spots anyone with any sort of resistance towards Bl/ind and he convinces them to become killjoys. He adds and adds to his ranks in the hope that one day we'll outnumber the dracs, and then he'll be able to take over Battery City and run it himself." He turns to look at me now, studying my face for a moment before he speaks again. "You're like bait to him. You're already a full fledged rebel against Korse, and yet he has no control over you. You won't answer to anyone, so he'll probably see it as a challenge to win you over. So be warned, he'll be trying to get on your good side every time you meet until you finally give in and join us." 

"Well he'll be buttering up for a long time then, because i'm not planning on joining your ranks anytime soon. No offence or anything" I add as an afterthought "It's not that i have anything against you guys, but well, as i said before it's not my sort of thing." 

"Are you ever going to give me a full explanation?" He wonders, lying back so he's propped up by his elbows as he speaks. 

"What? To why i don't want to be a killjoy?"

"Yeah. I know there's more to it than that, and i know you're not going to tell me yet. I just want to know why you're like this" he makes a small gesture in my direction. "And before you tense up i'm not expecting an answer right now, i just want to know when to expect one." 

"Well don't expect it" I retort "just because you're high and mighty out here doesn't mean i immediately want to spill everything about myself to you. Besides, when has talking about the past ever done anyone any good?" 

"It does when people like you are still clinging to what happened, as apposed to what might happen now" i go to turn my head away so he won't see my torn expression, but he grabs my arm to stop me. "Look, i don't know what happened, but i can guess it was pretty bad. Bad enough for you to not want to get close to anyone at least. But you're not alone Spark. Out here, everyone's a war survivor. You won't come across many people who aren't emotionally fucked up in one way or another, me and the guys included."