Break Down The Walls

I wake up the next day to Party's arms around me, both of our bodies curled up together as we sleep. He's still out of it, his hair a bright red birds nest as he leans into the crook of my neck, his mouth slightly agape as he lets out the tiniest of snores. 

It's probably the first time i've seen him look vulnerable. Even when he was cornered when i first saw him, with a drac about to blow his brains out and no means of escape, he still seemed strong. But now he looks sweet for once, his face worry-free and his mind away from the thoughts of Korse, draculoids and droid funerals. 

I don't want to wake him, but i don't particularly want to lie around waiting for him to come around either. So i gradually lift up one of his arms and slip out from his embrace. He makes a quiet grunt of protest, but is back into a deep sleep within an instant, his arm falling loosely over the now empty space in the bed. 

I run my fingers through my hair, toying with the ends as i glance around the room, seeing all the artwork he has covered the walls with. I can see doodles upon doodles, of killjoys fighting in the desert to pictures of the fab four's faces. I spot my own face, squeezed in at the end of the line. He's drawn my features a lot smoother than they probably are, and i look a lot more polished and pretty in general, but i still love it. The way he's painted my hair makes the blue colour fade down the wall so that my hair seems everlasting. 

When i'm done marvelling at all the paintings i slip my jeans and jacket back on, before pulling on my boots, double checking i've got my gun strapped safely to the side of the right one. I'd never be caught without my gun, not unless i want to die. 

With one last quick glance back at Party's sleeping figure, i head out into the corridor and start towards the main part of the diner, just as Ghoul and Jet come out of the back door, laughing about something. When they see me creeping out of Party's room they both instantly share a knowing look, and then smirk. 

"Had fun then?" Ghoul chuckles as they catch up to me. 

"Shut up" I have no bite the inside of my mouth so that i won't blush "it's none of your business where i sleep." 

"Nope, but we can still find it entertaining" Jet grins along. 

"Oh go do something useful" I roll my eyes "aren't one of you suppose to be on watch anyway?" I doubt they'd put Neon or Silver on watch after what happened yesterday, and Kobra's been sent to bed with strict instructions from Party to sleep the whole night. And seeing as i wasn't asked to do a shift, i knew it was down to these two. 

"Just swapping over now" Ghoul gestured to the open door behind them "i'm going back to bed, Jet's taking watch. You're up earlier than usual." 

"Am i?" I look out the open door and see that it's true, the sun is just about rising now. Ever since i started living at the base i've been getting up later and later, my old routine or rising with the sun soon forgotten. 

"Yeah. Well, i'm going to sleep" he yawns as Jet disappeared down the corridor to take over "see you around midday" He pushes past me and into his own room, leaving me in the corridor. I head towards the diner, as i had originally been planning, but stop one room short when i hear voices coming from Kobra's room. 

I sigh, why is everyone up so damn early today? 

I'm about to go into Kobra's room and order him to get to bed before i set Party on his ass, when i hear Silver's voice too. I frown, wondering why she's not in the room her and Neon were given, and start to listen to what they're saying. 

I hate eavesdropping, it feels so invasive and back stabbing, but curiosity gets the better of me and i keep quiet outside the door, figuring that i'll knock in just a minute, once i've figured out what exactly is going on. 

"Kobra, come on. You're worrying me. You should still be asleep..." comes Silver's voice, sounding weak, but then what did i expect? At least it sounds like Kobra did get some sleep, even if he is up now. 

"I'm worrying you?" Kobra scoffs. "Silver, look at yourself. You're systems slowly closing in on itself. If i don't hurry up and find a way to stop this then you're going to..." he stops, sounding choked up. That's when it goes silent. I can't help myself - i glance through the keyhole in the door, and my eyes go commercially wide. 

I can see the two of them now, kissing. I can't believe i didn't see it before - but then i'm not the only one. The way Kobra was so desperate to help is suddenly evident, especially as i see him place his hands on Silver's waist, her hands grasping at his hair as they kiss gently. 

"You're doing all you can" she sighs, breaking away "i know that. But surely there must be more i can do to help. I know all about droids, maybe not so much scientifically as you do, but i can give it my best shot?" 

"I'm trying to create a battery that matches the old design that battery city use to issue, hopefully a permanent one that will allow you to never have to recharge again. You wouldn't have those limitations or ties to the city." 

"Kobra those batteries are long gone. They gave droids personality, planted a streak of rebellion in them that meant they could go against orders and even join up with the killjoys like we did. Once BL/ind realised this, they went to great lengths to exterminate every trace of the stuff. If thee was anything left i'd know." 

"I know" he sighs, running a hand through his hair "I know that, but i have to try. There must be something i can use to re-make the damn things. I know there is somewhere, and i'm going to find it, i promise you. I won't let them take you away from me." 

I don't feel comfortable eavesdropping on them anymore, so i make my way past their room and into the diner, slumping down into one of the seats and closing my eyes for a moment. I'm filled with hate for Better Living Industries for what they've done to the droids, the way they just left them to shut down on themselves. I'm with Kobra on this one - anything we can do, we have to do. 

We'll find a way to help Silver and Neon, and once we've sorted them out, we're making a new plan against BL/ind. I know we're still reeling from our last venture into the city, but i'm sick of sitting around and making small, pawn-like moves in a game of chess. I know now why Dr Death was so eager to recruit me - he needs all the people he can get to join his makeshift army. 

I toy with my gun for a little bit before heading outside. I can see Jet sitting up ahead on the rocks, his afro bouncing in the wind as he looks out over the desert. I head over to join him, figuring he looks like he could do with some company. 

"Hey" he grins as i sit down beside him, crossing my legs beneath me. 

"Hey" i sigh "i'll take watch if you want." 

"It's okay, i've only been here half an hour, i might as well do my share" he smiles back. He always did have a welcoming smile, no matter how drab or depressing the situation gets, you can rely on him to be optimistic.

"Jet? Do you think Kobra has a chance at making this battery before it's too late?" I ask, desperate to confined in someone about my new worries. Thy way Kobra had looked to helpless back there has shaken me up. We can't let Silver and Neon die on us when we just lost Bolt. 

"Let me put it this way" he gives a long sigh "if there's anyone in this goddam desert that can find a way to help Silver and Neon, it's Kobra. That kid keeps quiet about his talents, but he could've been an engineer, you know?" 

"He's going to hurt himself if he doesn't find what he's looking for soon" i admit, and he nods, unable to deny it. 

"I've seen the way he looks at Silver" he says after a moment "and judging by the look on your face right now, you've seen it to. Love is a powerful emotion Spark, it'll either make or break people. But right now i'm hoping that it'll be the making of him, give him a prize he can't put a price on and push him to save their lives." 

"I hope you're right" i sigh "for all our sakes." 

A/N sorry i took a while to update guys! I was finishing my other story but i've done that now so i can get back to fair updates on this. I have this story roughly planned out but i'm not sure exactly how much longer it'll be. It should be a considerable bit yet though :)