One Night Only?

I cross my arms over my chest, not wanting to look down at my hand and see the damage, and stare moodily out of the front of the car. Next to me Party's shaking pieces of glass from his tomato red hair, whilst Kobra is toying with his gun.

Now that the window's have all been smashed the wind whips through the car like crazy, so i sink down slightly in my seat to avoid the worst of it. Luckily there isn't too much sand blowing around to get in my eyes, and i can easily pull my hair around to one side of my head where i hold it in order to stop it from becoming a static birds nest.

"Are you mad at me?" Party calls over the roar of the engine and the sound of the wind flying through us, making his hair go all over the place in a scarlet haze.

"Just a little" i retort, my voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Why? Because we blew that place up? Because i thought you were planning on blowing it sky high anyway. Is it because we took your job and managed to eliminate a whole bunch of dracs at the same time?" He probes, turning in his seat as he speaks so he is looking straight at me. His knees bump against mine but there isn't any space for me to move away.

"I'm not throwing a tantrum because you took my mission" i glare. "I'm annoyed because you dragged me into this car without even asking me and left my motorbike behind. Do you know how hard it was to find one of them? And then get it to work?"

"We'll get your bike back."

"You better. It's your fault that i don't have it and i swear if the dracs get it then you're going to track it down and get it back for me. I don't care how much sweat and blood it takes, i want it in one piece and i want it soon. I need to get home." I poke his arm for extra emphasis, but he surprises me by grabbing my hand and keeping it there.

"Where exactly is home for you anyway? You don't like at any of the killjoy bases or at Dr D's main headquarters. And it's not like you really get suburbs out in the zones" he asks as he keeps a grip on my hand. I quickly pull out of his grip through and re-cross my arms.

"What makes you think i'm going to tell you everything about me so easily?"

He goes quiet, but as i glance over at him i can see he's still smirking at me. This just infuriates me further, and i shift my body so i'm turned away from him as much as i can in the cramped car, looking out the window in silence as the familiar landscape of the zones flies past.

he doesn't try to talk to me for the rest of the journey, so at least there's that. Ghoul and Kobra talk, but i don't join in their conversation - it's mainly about replacing the windows and exactly who's fault it was the canister knocked over in the first place. They all quickly establish that Ghoul is to blame (i could tell just by the look on his face when we rounded the corner beforehand) and he says he knows a killjoy who will be able to fix up the car the next day.

I nearly tell them to stop when we pass the beaten track that leads to the battery, knowing that i could probably find my way back from there. It would be a good twenty minute walk though, and i'm exhausted with a hand that's stinging like hell. Plus a part of me wants to see where the famous killjoys live. If it's only for one night then it's not like it's a massive problem. I'll just talk to them as little as possible, get some sleep and then get them to help me retrieve my bike tomorrow.

Kobra notices me staring at the path and decides to bring it up. He hasn't really conversed with me up until now, probably because he's smart enough to know i'm not in the mood for talking and that i'll probably bite his head off (metaphorically, i hasten to add.)

"So do you bartend at The Battery?"

"Sometimes" i shrug, deciding i might aswell be polite to him. He seems a nice guy and it's not like he's the one in the wrong here - just his brother. "It's not like a set thing. Now and again when i feel like some carbons i'll go help Crash out but it's not like i'm on a rota or anything."