Bad Move, Sunshine

As soon as I step outside I spot them - two pristine white cars coming straight down the highway, the clear BL/ind logo added neatly on each bonnet. I'm use to this sort of thing though, so I don't pay much attention to the cars and instead focus on trying to get a good aim at the drivers.

Unfortunately for me the dracs are driving all over the place, making sure I can't lock them in the barrel of my gun. After a few futile attempts that end up with my ray only hitting the side of the car I give up, deciding that I might as well wait until they arrive.

By this point the five of us are all standing outside, with Party quickly making his way over to stand beside me.

"You want some assistance?" He smirks, placing a hand on my waist. For once I don't try to shrug it off, too busy watching as the dracs draw nearer.

"Nope" I sass back "Just try not to get in trouble this time. I've already had to save your life once and look how that turned out. I ended up motorcycle-less and stranded with you."

"Is that a good thing or a bad thing?" He teases as the first dracs car spins to a stop beside us, quickly followed by the second. It's at this point that we both shut up, realising the fight is about to start. It's all good to brush it off, but we both become serious when the dracs start to fire at us.

I dodge a laser that skims past me, almost burning the cuff of my sleeve in the process. The drac who just attempted to shoot me doesn't give up though, and starts to run at me full blast, shooting along the way. I jump to avoid the next few hits, trying to get into a position where i can aim properly. It takes a moment, but eventually i get the bullseye of shooting him straight in the forehead, watching as he crumples to the ground.

I turn and see that Scarlett and Atomic have teamed up as normal and are taking down a drac, one of them coming from the front and one cutting of his exit from the back before they go in for the kill. Kobra is using the fuel pump as a refuge, coming out to shoot every moment or so before ducking back down again whilst the two dracs he is fighting respond. I'm not use to having others around on my side - normally i'll just shoot blindly in a knock out round, but now i have to be careful of my fellow killjoys around me.

I turn, looking for Party, and spot him only a few meters away. He taunts the drac, letting him get right up close before he spins his gun around in his hand and shoots him twice in the chest, smirking as he falls to the ground.

I quickly spin back around when i hear the telltale footsteps of a running drac, finding one heading straight for me. His shot skims past my hair, nearly catching one of the ends.

"Bad move sunshine" i hiss, grabbing the front of his crisp white t-shirt and then roughly shoving him onto his knees, where he attempts to get up and fails "You do not want to go burning off a girl's hair, because then she really isn't going to show any mercy on you. Whatsoever." And with that i press my gun to his temple and pull the trigger, hearing a laugh from behind me.

I turn to see Party standing nearby, obviously having heard me. He doesn't laugh for long though, because then there's another drac on his hands. I go to turn back around, but another drac beats me to it.

Before i can stop him, he's kicked the backs of my knees, sending me falling forward. I throw my hands out to break my fall, but in doing so my gun skids across the ground. A string of cuss words fall out my mouth as i feel a hand grip me roughly by the neck, whilst the cold feeling of the drac's gun in pressed against the side of my head.

"Say goodb-" The drac starts to snarl, but is cut short by the loud sound of metal connecting with bone. At first i don't know what's going on, but when his dead body slumps over mine i realise the threat is gone. I turn to push the body off of mine and see Party standing above me, blood tipping the end of his gun where he must have used it to whack the drac around the head.

"Want a hand there?" he asks down at me as i struggle with the limp body weighing down on top of mine. He doesn't wait for my response before pulling him off me. Then he grabs my hand and pulls me to my own feet, catching me when i stumble.

"Thanks" I smile, realising that without him i would have been ghosted by now. I had truly thought the drac had got me cornered, and right now i'm just enjoying the sensation of being alive. The other dracs are all dead now, and i can see Kobra laughing about something with Scarlet and Atomic, who are already heading back towards the shop.

"No problem, i owed you- remember?" He leans down and picks up my gun, dusting it off before handing it back to me. "Be more careful next time though yeah? I'm only just getting use to having you around."

"Trust me, that's not a normal occurrence" I reassure him, feeling almost embarrassed that the one time i happen to screw up, he's around. Well, technically i wouldn't have screwed up i hadn't been looking over at him, so maybe it is his fault after all. I won't mention that though - it's good that he's cleared his debt to me.

"I know it's not, otherwise you'd be dusted by now" He sighs. "You see? Sometimes it's good to work in a team. You help each other out and if you're in trouble, there's someone there to save you. And at the end of the day, instead of going back to an empty place you get a home, even a family if you want it to be."

The word family strikes a chord within me, instantly making me flinch despite the fact that I try to keep my face as neutral as possible.

"Spark?" He gently places a hand on my arm "you okay?"

"Yeah" I force myself to smile "I'm fine. Just tired from all that fighting I guess. We should get back before the sun sets" I nod towards the horizon, where the sun is slowly dipping further and further down. We'd been nearly all day at Dr D's, and the last few hours of afternoon were quickly used up in the fight with the dracs, plus the time it took for us to get from A to B.

"Too tired to go to The Battery tonight?" He asks "because we were thinking of going there for a couple of hours, but if you don't want to then I'll stay back at the base with you" I'm touched by his offer to stay in whilst his friends go out and party, but I don't think that I really want a night with just me and Party together. I would just end up becoming even closed with him. Already as I look at his caring face, practically glowing in the sun, I can feel myself becoming more attached to him.

I'm beginning to trust him more, an emotion I haven't felt in ages. The worst part is that I'm not panicking about it - it seems natural to trust Party, even if it goes against my every vow. And that's what scares me the most. He makes me feel like I want to interact with people again, and like my walls are slowly coming down.

I realise then that I've been staring at him for a good minute without speaking.

"No, it's okay" I rush "I want to go the Battery with you guys, it'll be fun."

"Great" He starts to walk with me towards the car, which luckily wasn't damaged in the crossfire. "It'll be nice to actually relax with you for once instead of just rowing and fighting."

"You make me sound like a dragon."

"Oh you're not a dragon. A feisty, irritatingly stubborn, blue-haired killjoy? Yes. Dragon? No. You're too pretty for that" as soon as he's said it he slips into the passenger seat with a faint call of 'shotgun' leaving me to slide into the back, trying to dissect his words.

____________________________________________________________________