The Battery Needs Charging

I try not to focus on Party's words from earlier about me being pretty, but it's hard not to. The last time a boy flirted with me in any way was back before I'd ever heard of Korse or even knew how to work a ray gun, let alone kill with one. Even then it has just been a fifteen year old boy trying to smooth talk his way into my pants. He certainly hadn't called me pretty either. I think the last time a boy called me pretty was back when I was around twelve, but all those memories are blurred together.

All the same, i wonder weather he was serious or not. I'm use to people trying to become my friend, but i'm certainly not use to people openly flirting with me. Normally by that point i've already either cleared off or made it crystal clear that i'm not interested. 

"Earth to Spark" Kobra calls teasingly from the front of the car. I shake myself from my thoughts to see that we've pulled up at their base. Party's already walking towards the place, turning back at the last moment to catch my eye before disappearing inside. 

"Sorry" I blush, jumping out of the back of the car "lost in my own thoughts-" 

"-About my brother" He finishes my sentence with a knowing smile. 

"No" I lie "Honestly, just because he's up himself doesn't mean everyone else has to be too. Especially not me." 

"Right" He obviously doesn't believe me, and that winds me up even more, probably because he's right. "How come you were so busy staring at him back there that you didn't even see that drac coming at you?" 

"That was just a mistake. He was laughing at something i said and it caught my attention, simple" I'm determined to make sure Kobra doesn't think i have some sort of crush of Party before we go in, as i don't want false information getting out. At least, i think it's false. 

There's no way i have any sort of crush on him, i won't allow myself. Crushing on someone is just as bad as befriending them, even worse if i end up in a relationship. I know Atomic and Scarlet are together, and it's obvious that if something happened to one of them the other wouldn't be able to continue. How i can i ever allow myself to have such a massive weak spot?

"It's not a crime to admit you like someone you know" He sighs after a few moments of silence "I know you're against any sort of relationships, and i don't doubt you have good reasons behind that, but sometimes you can't help who you end up caring about." 

He waits for my response, but when i just stare at the ground instead, kicking at the dust on my boots, he gives up and makes his way inside instead. His words echo around in my head long after his departure though. Maybe we can't help who we end up caring about, but we can help what we do with those feelings, right? 

Maybe if we just ignore those feelings they'll eventually go away? Even as i think it i know i'm stuck for any good ideas other than running as fast as i can in the opposite direction from that arrogant red-head that i'm getting so attached to. 

thinking about him nearly cost you your life i remind myself. But then there's the other voice in my head telling me that he was the one that saved said life once i was defenceless and about to get dusted by a draculoid piece of scum. 

With a grunt of irritating i lean against the car, knowing i have to go inside at some point. At least we're going to the battery. I can talk to Crash and if things get awkward and i can always do some bar tending. It'll be good to get out from this bubble that the four live in, where it feels okay to feel and to let friendships grow. 

I head inside, seeing that Jet and Kobra are sat at one of the booths in the main diner area. A battered radio sits on the table in between them, playing a rock song i've vaguely heard before. Jet's head in nodding to the beat as Kobra talks about something Ghoul said earlier about the new windows he put on the car. 

"You alright Spark?" Jet asks when he sees me lingering in the doorway. 

"Oh yeah" I nod quickly "When were you all planning on heading out to the Battery tonight?" 

"Ghoul's heating up the power pups right now and then we'll go" he gestures towards the open back door, where i can vaguely hear the light humming on Fun Ghoul as he busies himself with cooking the tasteless food. 

"Okay, i'm going to use the bathroom" i excuse myself, heading through the inner door and down the corridor. I can remember where the bathroom was vaguely from last night, and head straight for it. I know my hair probably needs brushing through and i might as well have a wash whilst i'm there as i have been fighting today. 

I hum the song i just heard on the radio as i walk into the bathroom, only to freeze in my tracks when i'm greeted by a half naked Party. 

He's standing with a towel draped around his waist, having obviously just climbed out of the shower, his hair wet and clinging to his face as he stands there in a similar state of shock as me. At first i can't help but stare, but i quickly snap myself out of it. 

"Not looking not looking not looking' i yell, throwing both hands over my eyes and turning to face the door again. He let's out a chuckle of laughter then, and before i can comprehend what he's doing he's spun me back around to face him, although it takes him a good few moments to be able to pry my hands away. 

"Ah come on Spark, it's no big deal" He holds my hands away from my face but i still look just beside his eyes, not wanting to have my blush return as i know it will when our gazes lock again. Honestly, would it have been so hard to lock the door behind him? 

"Yeah well at least you covered up" I grumble, still just wanting to get out of there "although you've still managed to make this incredibly awkward. Not that i expect any more from you though." 

"Oh come on, i'm just shirtless. It's hardly anything surprising seeing as you are staying with four guys at the moment - you were bound to walk in on one of us eventually. I guess i was just the chosen one, hey?" 

"You make it sound like i intended to walk in on you" i successfully pull my hands out of his grasp and back away towards the door "which i certainly did not. I just needed to use the bathroom, but i can see it's already occupied now so i'll leave." 

"If you must" he smirks in what could almost be taken for a suggestive way. At this point i'm already out the door though, slamming it shut behind me and trying to calm my erratic heartbeat. Why am i so worked up over seeing a guy shirtless? It's not like i saw anything that i shouldn't, although even the thought of that has me turning the colour of his hair. 

I quickly scurry down the corridor and try to forget about the whole thing, but it's easier said than done when it keeps replaying in your mind constantly. I hate to admit it, but i can't get his smirk out of my mind, or the way he pulled my hands from my face. 

Kobra's words from earlier drift back to me about developing feelings for other people, and i just hope that whatever these feelings are that i'm suppressing are nothing more than a build up from not having any sort of romance in my life since Korse came into the picture. 

Maybe my brain is just having urges because of my complete lack of romance or any sort of male attention. It seems pretty likely. I mean, this is the closest i've been to a guy in years, my body's probably just being too eager for my liking. 

Yes. I'll definitely put it down to that for the time being. But right now i'm going to try and forget all about it, go shove some disgusting power pup down my throat and then? Then i'm going to go to The Battery and get a strong drink down my throat. 

___________________________________________________________________________