Easy Win

For a few weeks things carried on pretty smoothly, a few times a week me and Alice would visit the woods and I would practice controlling myself and being able to push away or bring forward the werewolf. Eventually, when I was confident enough, I decided that I had become sick of constantly being ridiculed in PE and I would use my power to show them who's boss. For the whole day I was anxious yet exited, not even having told Alice about my plan so that she would be just as shocked as everyone else, so when it came to changing I was in my kit before anyone else.

We walked out onto the chilly field, although I couldn't feel the cold and judged from the gray canopy above and other peoples whimpering, and 4 people took their places at the start line. 'Great, they wont stand a chance in a race!' I thought triumphantly, but quickly whipped the smug look from my face as Alice gave a questioning look, I waited then until 3 of the best runners stepped up to the painted marks before bounding up like a young puppy. I nabbed the outermost lane and didn't even bother getting into a good starting position, this earned me a good few scoffs from the seasoned racers but all I could think was 'Laugh all you like, you wont be the ones grinning by the end'. Maybe I was a little over confident, but I could afford to be.

Slouching slightly, I took the time that the other girls were taking to close my eyes and go into werewolf mode which I had recently learnt to only partially bring out. I could gain all of my wolfish abilities with only the side effect of yellow eyes, this meant that I could get enhanced speed without my face resembling an angry bear. I knew that it had worked when I could hear every individual breath, the beating of birds wings far above and the whispers of two brats among the throng commenting on how I had no chance. Then, our teacher told us to get ready.

I made no move to get down, she just left me to it obviously seeing no chance of me winning. She then said the whole on your marks and get set thing, I payed no attention however as I was waiting for the 'Go'. A slight pause, and then the command was given. The other three pelted forward at speeds any human would be impressed by, even I was a little impressed before I remembered Richard and Anna's race, at first I stood still and clicked my neck. Then I ran. It took only a few seconds for me to catch up with them with a reasonable amount of effort, then it took a few more seconds for me to put distance between the humans and me as I pelted ahead and avoided all eye contact. I just kept pumping my legs up until the end without looking back and then immediately closing my eyes and reigning back in the wolf, this time it had been incredibly easy to control. I then had to about half a minute for the other racers to complete the track that usually took them about 1 minute to complete, however, I had managed it in 30 seconds flat. 'Woo hoo!!!' I rejoiced as a multitude of people, including my teacher, crowded me with faces of wonder and admiration asking how I had managed to do that. I was fairly pleased to the see the usual winners being ignored as they regained their breaths off to one side, giving me a lot of unpleasant stares, whilst the teacher asked me a load of questions and finally offered that I represent the school at a sporting even next week. I gladly accepted, noticing at the same time Alice's knowing look although I couldn't tell whether the rest of her face was meant to be showing anger or amusement.

I got a lot of compliments that day from people who had been there, and some who had only heard of the event through others. It was pleasant to have so many people think such good things about you, even Alice jokingly complimented me on my 'Hard work'. "It is not fair at all for you to use your powers like that, but those three did deserve a reality check and its not like you were doing any real harm. Besides, seeing everyone so amazed was a bit funny" She explained as we left the building. "Yeah well, I quite enjoyed being really good at something for once" I retorted with a large grin on my face. Alice smirked, "You are really good at stuff, see you tomorrow"