Grief

I woke up in an uncomfortable sitting position still in the woods, trying to move and become more comfortable was virtually impossible as I realised ropes bound my wrists keeping my arms behind the tree. 'What the hell?!' I let my eyes open fully and took in the horrific scene that was unfolding before me, Anna lying on her back with every twig, leaf and blade of grass around her drenched in scarlet ink, Richard kneeling beside her in a state whilst trying to fix the wounds and Jacob keeping the young children distracted with a game of eye spy. Watching it all play out more of the fight came back to me and as piece by piece flashed through my mind I became even more terrified of myself and disgusted at what I had done to my friend, she was lying there half unconscious with pained groans  and muttering escaping her mouth every now and again.

I couldn't believe it, the hideous gash across her face practically spouting blood whilst the deep wounds to her body slowly sucked the life out of her, and it was clear that without Richards care and the multiple bandages he had wrapped around her she would be dead already. I stretched out my leg best I could and the vampires head snapped around to give me a deadly glare, his eyes begging the question 'How could you do this' at the same time as holding a deadly rage that was melting the iris and creating a ring the same colour as what was seeping from Anna's wounds. He was more than livid. Checking over Anna quickly he rose from the crouching position and stepped ominously towards me with murder in his eyes, he stood a few steps away, towering over me and his lips formed the words "What happened?!" 

I let tears fall from my eyes as I remembered exactly what I had done, I had tried to kill Anna.

In a shaky voice, like an earthquake was happening in my throat, I described the events of the fight accompanied by my thought pattern making sure to remind Richard every few seconds how terrible I felt and that I hadn't meant to lose control like that. Sobbing and muttering my apologies did little to melt the cold heart of the vampire but it did make him understand, turns out they had tied me up just to be safe because they didn't know whether that violence was going to go away or not but after establishing I was, in fact, not a threat he undid the ropes.

The first thing I did after shaking off the lose coils was sprint to Anna's side and fall to my knees in utter despair, I had come so close to killing her. I bowed my head and dug the heals of my hands into my eyes to stop myself crying, telling the girl that I was sorry and I was a monster. "A monster, that's all I am" I said although I doubted she could hear me. It was probably better if she slept anyway, it meant that she couldn't feel the pain or fear and regain her strength for when the time came for her to get revenge on me. That's when something completely unexpected happened, an icy hand was laid on my shoulder and an almost sympathetic voice told me "You are not a monster, you didn't do it on purpose and your grief is proof enough that you are not at all evil"

I didn't look up or answer him, I just digested what he said and watched Anna's chest gradually rise and fall, so glad that I had narrowly avoided being the one to make it lie still forever. "Also, sorry for tackling you so hard" He said with a hint of a smirk trying to lighten the mood, it did make me chuckle a tiny bit.