The Cursed Girl

I awoke in a strange room lying on a rickety, wooden bed by an open window. The heat from outside warmed the air tremendously and golden rays of light streamed in and onto my face. I lifted my hand to block stop the sun from blinding me but became suddenly aware if a dull pain that spread across my wrist when I tried to move it. That's when I became aware of a fluffy white bandage tied clumsily around my arm with a messy knot holding it tight against the skin; I remembered the accident and breathed a sigh of relief that I was not going to bleed to death. I also recalled the strange girl. 

I sat up, taking my time as I was still groggy from the nap, and let the covers roll off my torso and rest in folds at my waist as I gazed out of the window at the startling beauty of the forest. The bed creaked as I pushed away the covers and swung my legs over its edge, letting my toes brush the rough oak planks, and found that my combat boots had been carefully placed on the floor nearby. I pulled them on in a leisurely manner.

For a couple of minutes I just sat there on the mattress contemplating what exactly to do and eventually came to the conclusion that the winged person couldn't possible be that bad if she saved my life like that, plus the fact she took care of me when I passed out rather  than eating me for dinner. For a minute or two more I just took in the atmosphere before rising to my feet, if just a little unsteadily, and walking to the door at the far end of the room. This place was exactly like an enlarged tree house, ill-fitting doors, rough wooden walls with tiny little gaps between the thick branches and an abundance of windows with an absence of glass. I pushed the door open and walked in on, lunch?

The scene I saw from the doorway was the same girl who I had seen earlier and a new boy greatly resembling her but a fair bit younger sat at a tiny, round table in the middle of the room that bore my favourite food of all time. PIZZA!!!! The table was lathered in plates carrying pepperoni, Hawaiian, ham, double cheese and a specific one the stood out because it was topped with almost every meat imaginable. I was drooling by now as I watched the young boy wolfing down the slices of heavenly bread, tomato, cheese and meat.

The girl was eating her double cheese a bit more politely with wings tucked neatly behind her back and talons withdrawn, the boy had wings too but his were green and scaly like a dragons and his far shorter but still lethal looking claws were still visible but dripping with melted cheese. The girl caught site of me in seconds and rose to great me, the boy didn't seem in the least bothered. "Hey you are up, you are in luck because it's Pizza night!!" She said this and then waited for my reaction, sure I like pizza but dining with strangers is a little less appealing; especially if these strangers have claws and wings. 

"Not to be rude but who exactly are you?" I asked in maybe a more defensive tone than I had intended. Luckily she didn't seem offended and quickly replied "My names Annabelle Charelton, and this is my brother Max." The boy waved in greeting without turning away from his meal. Annabelle stuck out a hand for me to shake which I apprehensively shook and replied with "Elizabeth." Only my friends get to call me Lizzy although I think that's probably what me and the girl will become in the near future.