Chapter Fifteen

I was ushered away from Del within seconds of reaching the studio. I was so tired I didn’t even know what was going on anymore. I had had a hard time getting up this morning and really wanted to throw on sweat pants, but I put on a pair of my new jeans, just so the people there wouldn’t think I was ridiculously sloppy. I was bringing brought down a long hall though, my eyes wandering around widely, the three people moving with me talking too loudly.

I tried to blink away the sleep as I hurried down the hall of the huge building before I was turned into a crisp white room with a soft comfortable looking couch and table in front of it. But instead, I was led towards a tall chair in front of a mirror with a small counter from it. I sunk into it, my feet dangling lightly. I glanced around as a curling iron and straightener were plugged in and then left on to heat up.

“You’ve got the best color hair. It’s going to look gorgeous when I’m done with it, okay Ivalin?” An adorable plump woman said as she beamed down at me. She had a black baggy shirt on her body over black jeans. The shirt was belted around her waist and she had dark chocolate colored hair with warm eyes. I think she had told me her name was Aubrey, but that could have been either of the three. 

“Okay,” Was all I said as I watched the other two women leave the room,  “Where are they going?” I asked, glancing at who I am pretty sure is Aubrey.

“We don’t like when it gets too crowded in the room. So when I’m done with your hair, Kayla is going to come and do your make up and Kirsten is going to get your clothes ready. Is that okay?” Aubrey asked and I shrugged.

“Yeah, that’s perfectly fine.” I said as I shifted in the chair and a beeping came from the straightener. I glanced at the curling iron to see the red light had gone off too.

“Are you comfortable? Because you are going to be sitting here for a bit.” Aubrey said as she pulled a small black bag to the counter and pulled a comb out of it.

“Yeah, I’m good.” I said as I adjusted myself one last time, sitting with a straight back.

Aubrey gently ran the brush through my hair, being careful not to tug on my already scrunched hair, which as usual was full of small knots everywhere because of it. She brushed the top layer of my hair before twirling two thirds of it elegantly on her finger and pinned it to the top of my head with a clip. She then ran the comb through the thicker underneath layer before she tossed it to the counter. Just as she grabbed the straightener from the counter the door opened.

My eyes widened as a tall woman with light brown hair strolled in. She was wearing a pair of dark skinny jeans and white blouse with heel boots. Her hair was pulled into a high elegant pony tail. A light smile was on her lips as she moved towards the chair I was in, but Aubrey didn’t stop, instead running the straightener in my hair.

“Sorry to interrupt. I just wanted to introduce myself before you actually come out onto the show.” Her voice was sweet as she moved to the side of the chair, looking at me in the mirror. “I’m Dawn.” She extended a hand.

Slowly, I took hold of it, my hands feeling shaky. I had reacted to Del so differently, but I didn’t like him in the first place, and Dawn Erickson, that is a different story completely.  I admired this woman.

“Wow, it’s really nice to meet you.” I said as Dawn smiled down at me before she let go of my hand, setting hers on her hips. I kept looking straight into the mirror though, watching her that way.

“I just want to thank you for letting me interview you. That means a lot to me.” She winked at the mirror and I smiled.

“Thanks for letting me on the show. I only ever dreamed I’d be here.” I said, smiling widely.